Join now - be part of our community!

Serious Bluetooth Problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
su01483
New

Serious Bluetooth Problem

My SVE1511C5E can't enable bluetooth after being upgraded to windows 8. During installation, the Atheros Bluetooth driver was incompatible with Windows 8, so I unistallled. After installation, I found there was no Bluetooth under wireless, so I downloaded Atheros Bluetooth driver from the Sony website, and installled. Then the Bluetooth button appeared but is greyed out. I can't use it at all, and I reported the serious problem several times to Sony, But there is no any response at all so far.

I appreciate it very much if anyone who can solve the problem. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveCapel
Visitor

Windows 7 to windows 8 upgrade wireless wifi bluetooth not working greyed grayed out in change pc settings.

NOTE you must switch on all wireless wifi bluetooth using Vaio Smart Network before starting the upgrade otherwise Windows 8 will recognise the drivers but not the hardware and will not try to switch the hardware on.

Sony need to amend the upgrade instructions. Anyone know how to get Sony to sit up and take notice?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SteveCapel
Visitor

Hi Ning, Just upgraded my S13, wish I had not bothered. None of my wireless devices work, all are shown on Settings-Change PC Settings- Wireless but both are greyed out. The built in 3G Mobile broadband is OK though.

Interestingly the Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology  package says it is from Motorola Solutions Inc on the Programs and Features folder in Control Panel. From the looks of the Device Manager the Blootooth and WiFi are integrated in the same device on my box so no surprise neither work. Looks like Sony have messed this up. Agin no response from Sony to my email for help.

I unloaded all the wireless drivers, apart from the Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology one which says it cannot uninstall as there is a file missing. Not surprising if it thinks it is from Motorola. I loaded all of the Atheros and Intel packages (Atheros first) off the Vaio support site plus the W8Upgrade packages after the originals, including the Sony Wireless State Device Driver.

There is an FAQ on the upgrade site saying it tells how to activate your Blurtooth under Win*. However the website is broken.

Don't see I can do much more until Sony come back to us.

Try here and see if you can open the 11th artcile down the list.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/solutions/36760

Message was edited by: SteveCapel

Message was edited by: SteveCapel

Hi Ning, did you start the upgrade with Bluetooth switched off through Smart Network? I had both Bluetooth and WiFi off and both are greyed out! So I loaded all of the Intel admin tools and these say that the wireless hardware is switched off with a hardware switch. So my guess is that some of the Vaio models without a physical switch still have the switch inside (in silicon) which is manipulated by Smart Network. When I have time I'll roll back to factory load of Win7 and try the upgrade again starting with the wireless on. The full Intel software is here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&Product...

su01483
New

Hi, Steve Capel

Thanks for your detailed explanation and reminding me of the problem! I have the same problem as yours after having upgraded to windows 8: both WIFI and Bluetooth are greyed out! And I remembered before the upgrade, I switched off WIFI and Bluetooth. And I used troubleshooting of VAIO Care to have WIFI fixed, but the Bluetooth button is still greyed out.

Tonight, I unloaded the Sony smart network and the Atheros Blurtooth suite (my laptop uses the Ateros Bluetooth driver other than the Intel one), and reloaded both, but no use. I think before Sony's response, the possible way is to restore to factory condition and do the upgrade again.

Again, thanks indeed! and HAPPY XMAS!!!

SteveCapel
Visitor

Hi Ning,

I have now regressed to Win 7(loaded my Acronis bit image of the disk) used Smart Network to switched on both WiFi and Bluetooth and restored my Win 8 image (again from an Acronis image). I then loaded the generic Intel drivers and tools for both WiFi and Bluetooth and it now works OK. Bluetooth took a while to come up in the on/off switch, indeed I connected my Bluetooth mouse way before the switch was there. So give the Bluetooth drivers 10 mins or so to load fully.

Worrying thing is that its happened to you before but it is not mentioned in the upgrade instructions. Also if as I suspect this is an issue of an internal switch without a physical switch, and not a deadly embrace, then we all need to keep a win 7 copy to go back to in the event that something manages to switch it off again.

BTW my box is an S13, svs13a1x9es so quite a bit different to yours whihc suggests this is a generic Vaio issue not limited to my box.

Regards

Steve

SteveCapel
Visitor

Windows 7 to windows 8 upgrade wireless wifi bluetooth not working greyed grayed out in change pc settings.

NOTE you must switch on all wireless wifi bluetooth using Vaio Smart Network before starting the upgrade otherwise Windows 8 will recognise the drivers but not the hardware and will not try to switch the hardware on.

Sony need to amend the upgrade instructions. Anyone know how to get Sony to sit up and take notice?

su01483
New

Hi, Steve

I will regress to Windows 7, and do the upgrade again.

Have a nice day.

Thanks and regards

Ning

su01483
New

Hi, Steve,

I did The upgrade last night, everything is ok with all the wireless on.

Regards