Join now - be part of our community!

Serial Numbers not Validated

profile.country.en_GB.title
stchamp47
Explorer

Serial Numbers not Validated

When I go to http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts and enter my serial numbers, they are not being validated.  This is a Sony VAIO laptop bought from John Lewis.  Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

When I enter the first block of eight numbers in the left hand box, the box stays red.  When I enter the next block of seven numbers in the right hand box, it turns green.  I click on Validate and nothing happens.

17 REPLIES 17
Johninmexico
Visitor

I had the same problem with a SVE1512C5E bought from Sony Store online just before Xmas. This Vaio has also started to make horrible clicking/clunking noises from the hard disc.............eeeeek!

This link might enable UK bought machines to be registered ok, worked for me..............

https://www.sony.co.uk/mysony/RegisterProduct.action?site=odw_en_GB

Has anyone any ideas re the hard disc clunking I am experiencing, while I wait for customer service to get back to me?

Message was edited by: Johninmexico

stchamp47
Explorer

John Lewis, from whom I bought my Sony VAIO laptop in 2010, have got back to me.  They contacted Sony and pointed out to them that my registered serial numbers were not being validated.  I have checked and my serial numbers now are accepted as valid by Sony.  Sony emailed me with a link to the correct page for the latest downloads for my model.  I hope others with my problem get a similar satisfactory resolution.  I did it by getting the original supplier to contact Sony on my behalf.  Best of luck to others.

matthewsrowland
Visitor

i'm also having the same problem with a custom built new Vaio.  What link did sony send you?

stchamp47
Explorer

The link Sony sent me was for my model:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCF11Z1E_BI/updates

This doesn't resolve the updating problem I have been experiencing.  If I install the latest downloads and under Settings in VAIO Update I enable Sony VAIO Software Self Update and accept the proffered update, it breaks the whole program and the dedicated keys cease to work.  I have reported this problem in another thread.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thalamus. wrote:

Hi  stchamp47,

welcome to Questions & Answers..

I just tried to enter a couple of Vaio serial numbers and both times I have replicated the problem you mentioned above, so have escalated this on to Sony to investigate..

In the meantime is there anything that the forum community can help with.?

If not there is an alternative email option that you could try to contact vaio support - Email Support

Apologies for the delay in updating..:smileysorry:

The problem of Vaio's serial numbers not validating correctly has been resolved..:smileythumbsup:

On the off chance that anyone still notices a problem then please let us know..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Sallykapally wrote:

I am having the same problem. I bought my VAIO off the Sony website so it isn't just a problem with the John Lewis one. My 10 day old laptop won't start up and it's impossible to get through to anyone for help when the serial number won't validate!

Hi Sallykapally,

at the same time I escalated the serieal number problem I also escalated that you were having problems with your son's 10 day old Vaio, hopefully someone from Vaio support has been in contact with you to assist in resolving the problem..

If not could you let us know please.?

profile.country.it_IT.title
fedepiz
Visitor

I still have the same problem. My 2-days old VAIO's screen got very dark all of a sudden (custom VAIO) and I've been trying to get suppot. The product has been registred. But as I tried to report the fault for fixing, my serial number (the first part) is reported to be wrong. This is a VAIO a bought off from Sony online. I hope to get in contact though phone. Luckly I've the purchase receipt so I think I can prove the purchase. But still...

neelcigam
Visitor

hey guys if u want to know that your serial number is validated or not:

In the search box type "network" and open it.

In there go to network infrastructure my one is "netgear xxxxxxx".

right click on that and go to properties.

In there go to Network Device,and see the "Troubleshooting information".

There you will know whether your serial number is validated or not. :slight_smile: