Join now - be part of our community!

sata raid control

reaper
Visitor

sata raid control

hi

i want and need to install another hard drive inside my pc but how am i meant to know what controllers i have in my pc ect....

does anyone know what they are normally in vaio's

what hard drive is installed already ?

normally pc's are meant to have four of these connections so i have read ....... but i'm not to sure what connects to them

can someone plz
give me some info on this matter

thanks regards ben

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

reaper
Visitor

yo kee-lo

did i explain it a bit strange or you just dont know ??????

i will say it again anyway

in my pc the harddrive is connected using two types of wire one that is really thin and wide and then the other is just like normal wires but in a little bunch of about four

both of these wires have two connections on them p7 is the one that it is using along with one of the ones on the really thin wire
so i think i have two take out one of my dvd drives to put my hard drive onto a different dma channel

i just need some back up to confirm this from you peeps
:smileygrin: before i do anything which is too crazy

regards ben
:skull:

kee-lo_

Hi Ben

You told be yesterday you have 2 optical drives and one hard disk. That should leave one space free. You don't need to remove anything.

The long thin thing is an IDE cable
The thing with 4 wires is the power cable.

reaper
Visitor

hi kee-lo

yeah i know there is one space for a harddrive and i have installed it into there ,,,, i took my dvd rom out and then was going to put the hard drive there but it doesnt stay there i need to have like a little cd drive holder or something.....

i needed to put it on a different controller thou :cry:

i have to have it set up so that my a/v drive isnt on the same controller as my system drive otherwise i wont get proper real time

i will have to wait for that drive now and use my new one for real time export to disk

thanks again for all your help
regards ben
:skull:

VAIOneer
Visitor

I'm a little confused.have you got 1 HDD and 1 DVD drive or 2 DVD drives?Also, as Kee-Lo said, the flat wire is the data cable (grey with 1red wire on the side) and the 4wire cable is the power cable (1 red, 2 blacks and 1 orange or yellow).The only thing you may need to set is the new HDD to slave (by moving a jumper).Let us know how you get on

noun
1. a Club VAIO member who is one of the first to do something.
2. a Club VAIO member who helps establish a community.
adj.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of early members: the VAIOneer spirit.

kee-lo_

I'm a little confused.

Not very straight forward is it Sam?

reaper
Visitor

yo
i dont know how to put it as a slave as you said this is what i ended up doing

i installed the harddrive next to the one that is installed using the power cable p6 (one that was free)

and the grey wire (with no red wire) i didnt see one anyway

had a connection under it just like the power one did also the only differece in the two data conector was the free one was grey instead of black (main conecter)

it all went perfect started my machine up had NO new hard ware appear

i went to computer management and it was there waiting to be allocated so i called it disk one ect ntfs quik format

and it is all working fine now all i need to know is about this slave stuff and just to make sure here these two hard drives that are now installed on my system are both on the same dma channel or whatever it is called ..............i need to confirm this so i know what the har drive will be used for

thanks again for all your help
regards ben

reaper
Visitor

yo vaioneer i forgot to tell you yes i have two drives a dvd -/+rw
and a dvd rom i am right in thinking that i would need to remove one of these to install a har drive on a different dma channel ???????????

regards ben :skull:

reaper
Visitor

right i sust it now yes i do need to unistall one on my drives

but i still dont know about this slave stuff and i need to set it to slave according to rtx manual

what is this jumper you mentioned ???????

regards ben

kee-lo_

The jumper settings for slave are printed on the hard disk or in the manual provided.