Join now - be part of our community!

Sending faxes

Jimbo
Visitor

Sending faxes

Hey all...

Anyone got any tips how best to set up my PC to send faxes? The problem as I see it is I've just installed the built-in XP fax software and it said on configuration that it'll be using the built-in AC97 modem.

Sounds OK accept that I have a home network setup with a broadband router, ie. the modem is not connected to the phoneline. The PC is conencted via ethernet to the ADSL modem which in turn connects to the BT line.

Anyone know how I can get round this without constant plugging/unplugging of cables? Do I need to connect the PC via the dial-up modem directly to phone line (eg. via a splitter at the phone-line end)?

Cheers...

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Jimbo,

Sadly, you do have to use a modem to send faxes, ADSL doesn't seem to have a feature to send FAX.

I have tried this a few times, in the end had to use it.

stevep-4
Visitor

Jimbo,
your ADSL router was supplied with a number of filters. The router connects to one socket of the filter, your home phone system connects to the other socket. Just use a socket doubler/splitter, and connect you 56K modem alongside your phone.

This way, you can send faxes immediately, and when your broadband is down, you can connect to the internet via dial-up.

Jimbo
Visitor

Aaaaah....!

It's all clear now! Thanks for both of your help, will give it a go.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

No problem.
You should have no problem sending a fax specially if you have a filter running with the fax / ADSL.