Join now - be part of our community!

PIONEER DVR-K12D (aka PCGA-DDWGT1)

cmsd
Visitor

PIONEER DVR-K12D (aka PCGA-DDWGT1)

hi community,

recently I'm looking for helping hands in regard to following problem:

GRT816S with PIONEER DVR-K12D
instead of the shipped with OEM Windows XP Home installed Windows XP Pro (full orig vers) and all Windows and regulary updates recommended by Sony through viao-link already done, means v1.10 dvd update for the above DVR-K12D. The update process was successful without any fault message.

Now, my DVD can't read anything on disks furthermore, no blank CD/DVD, no Sony Recovery Disk - only the orig Windows XP Pro is readable currently.

What and how shall I do to solve the problem?

Thanks.

85 REPLIES 85
cmsd
Visitor

Unbelievable, but true!

Finally I fixed the problem so far. The Recovery CD is readable again, DVD are recognised by my drive and DVD burning possible.

After three times uninstalling SP2 and in deleting all SP2 files, I reinstalled SP1 from the scratch, afterwards the Sony program files from the Recovery CD. - No problem, all works fine.

I tried to install the latest aspi files - without success!!!

I used the apsi v4.60 instead, since today no troubles and no problems with DVD's. Does anybody know why such things happen?

Yesterday I was updating SP1 with all necessary Windows updates (as recommended shown) - no problems at all.
Just the Vaio Media Integrated Server Application hangs whilst the starting process of notebook. Previously not happen! Why such things now? Any idea? Have reinstalled the program already but still happens.

Now, I'm thinking to go for the SP2 updates. Shall I do so?

Txs.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I have no idea why it happens, it's to do with replacing DLLs during updates, this can upset certain apps.

VAIO Media is temprimental.
Maybe there's an update on VAIO Link

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

You have found the problem then CMSD. The problem seems to be Service Pack 2, and since Sony are not exactly fans of SP2, they are going to talk to Microsoft about this (apparently).

CMSD, what you could try to confirm this issue is this:
1. Backup your computer.

2. Visit my website, and burn this CD-ROM.

Install the Nero ASPI Drivers from the link inside this post. Slipstream with Service Pack 2.

Do this again but slipstream with Service Pack 1.

3. After the CD has been made, boot your computer from the disk with Service Pack 2, and when the VAIO tells you to do so, press any key to start the CD-Boot procedure.

4. At the "Welcome To Windows XP" screen, press R to initiate a Repair.

Note that this copies all of the ORIGINAL Vaio files along with Service Pack 2.

5. When your computer starts up, try DVD's and CD's and see if they work. If it does work go to step 6 below.

If they don't then it COULD be a Service Pack 2 thing. In this case, boot your PC from the slipstreamed service pack 1 disk you made in step 2, and again run the repair operation on your existing installation. Try DVD's again, if it works this time, then it is almost certainly Service Pack 2 alterations to the CDROM.SYS file or a damaged STORPROP.DLL file.

6. Install all of the VAIO-Link updates until your computer's DVD drive breaks.

cmsd
Visitor

I have no idea why it happens, it's to do with replacing DLLs during updates, this can upset certain apps.

VAIO Media is temprimental.
Maybe there's an update on VAIO Link

Frankly said, no idea either what's going on with DLLs and friends in such manners, as well as SP1 and SP2.

Already the latest version of VAIO Media installed.
In the meantime I changed the program starting process with XPSysPad and no further problem either.

cmsd
Visitor

@James

So far I understood. Just one question before I'm starting work on this. I'm not using any part or software of NERO. Shall I use and install the Nero ASPI Drivers anyway? As well as, I've no SP2 CD available, I can just download through the automatic standard windows update page. Please confirm these points, thanks.

ciao

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

@ CMSD,

Hello again.

The Nero ASPI drivers will be fine. Note that these are used for the BCD tool to make the final two disks and WILL NOT be installed into your Windows directory. They are simply OEM modified Adaptec ASPI drivers.

With the SP2 update, you can indeed get that from the Microsoft Download page - its about 70MB-ish to download and will work fine.

Good luck. I hope this solves your problem.:smileygood_luck:

cmsd
Visitor

@James

Hello

I just finished updating through Windows XP Homepage to SP2.

AND - Recovery and blanc DVD's are recognised! As well as I tried several original movie DVD's, all are working.

Saying again, everything under SP2 update (without any Hotfixes yet) and under APSI v4.60.

I'm thinking now, to reinstall all Sony Software from the Recovery again. Makes this sense or should I let as it is as right now?

However, I can't believe that all what has been happen here with my notebook.

In regard to your mentioned "simply OEM modified Adaptec ASPI drivers" may I ask you on the possibility to install only?
Where can I get these files and how to do?

Thanks.

Caio

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hi.

Yep those drivers are available, from here so just copy wnaspi32.dll to the place where the instructions, here reference them.

I'm thinking now, to reinstall all Sony Software from the Recovery again. Makes this sense or should I let as it is as right now?

Well this is more-or-less up to you now. If it works OK and your happy with the situation then proceed no further.

If you want to dig a little deeper, then I suggest the best thing to do is to try the Sony updates, one at a time, and reboot the PC between each and test the DVD playability with these disks:

* Recovery DVD
* Data DVD disks
* DVD Films

Find the update that stops the DVD drive from working and uninstall it. Then I would raise this issue with eSupport and explain that they have a bad update that is killing your drive.

cmsd
Visitor

@ CMSD,

Hello again.

The Nero ASPI drivers will be fine. Note that these are used for the BCD tool to make the final two disks and WILL NOT be installed into your Windows directory. They are simply OEM modified Adaptec ASPI drivers.

With the SP2 update, you can indeed get that from the Microsoft Download page - its about 70MB-ish to download and will work fine.

Good luck. I hope this solves your problem.:smileygood_luck:

I did download the Nero ASPI dll file to my harddisk. What next? I checked the properties of this file, and I can find only indications for win9x and WinNT but nothing stating on WinXP. I assume this will be one problem I have had with the wrong DLL's. I can be wrong as well as, so I want to make sure to use this file without hassles.

As far as I concern, the SP2 can only be downloaded through Windows Update Pages or in ordering a CD from Microsoft. Can you confirm this please otherwise I ask for the link to get a SP2 copy saving on my harddisk (burning like SP1 to a CD)

Txs.

cmsd
Visitor

@James

Thank you so far. I'll take and keep your instructions for any further references (if needed in the future).

However, I did finish the installation of software from Recovery even now, and start with the updates from vaio-link as recommended.

I cannot update InterVideo WinDVD4. The "WinDVD_Registry_patch" is working, the "4.0B11.89-16309.DVD4.Sony.from.4.0B11.88.iUpgrade" does not work. Comes back with WinDVD version is invalid, upgrade process is failed!

All other application are working!