Join now - be part of our community!

PIONEER DVR-K12D (aka PCGA-DDWGT1)

cmsd
Visitor

PIONEER DVR-K12D (aka PCGA-DDWGT1)

hi community,

recently I'm looking for helping hands in regard to following problem:

GRT816S with PIONEER DVR-K12D
instead of the shipped with OEM Windows XP Home installed Windows XP Pro (full orig vers) and all Windows and regulary updates recommended by Sony through viao-link already done, means v1.10 dvd update for the above DVR-K12D. The update process was successful without any fault message.

Now, my DVD can't read anything on disks furthermore, no blank CD/DVD, no Sony Recovery Disk - only the orig Windows XP Pro is readable currently.

What and how shall I do to solve the problem?

Thanks.

85 REPLIES 85
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hmmmm

I am so sure it's a driver issue that Sony / MS have issued that stops it working.

If you send it to Sony, they replace the drive - and I'm not 100% sure that's the problem here....

But they don't listen to me.....

HTS-UK posted a thread about this, he found out that one of the updates stopped him using his DVD on the W1.

cmsd
Visitor

Hmmmm

I am so sure it's a driver issue that Sony / MS have issued that stops it working.

If you send it to Sony, they replace the drive - and I'm not 100% sure that's the problem here....

But they don't listen to me.....

HTS-UK posted a thread about this, he found out that one of the updates stopped him using his DVD on the W1.

I spoke with a Sony Repair Centre today morning, and they would keep my notebook for a week or so - right now impossible.

Why they don't listen to you ...???

I'll look after the mentioned "HTS-UK posting". Thanks.

cmsd
Visitor

Information - just received from eSupport Team:

----------------
Thank you for your feedback. Thank you for contacting us. In relation to yhe issue you are having doing a full recovery on your VAIO:

-Can you confirm if the drive is reading DVDs in general? The Recovery Disk supplied with this system is actually a DVD, so its possible that the DVD lens is not working in the drive, as opposed to the disk being faulty. If the drive will not read DVDs in general, then we will need to pickup your unit for a repair.

-If it is reading DVDS, can you just make sure to try the following:
-Insert the Recovery Disk.
-Reboot the unit, and press F2 when the VAIO logo appears.
-In the BIOS, press F9, then ENTER, then F10, then ENTER again. This will make sure the Optical drive is set to be bootable.
-Watch carefully for a message "press Any Key..." and hit a key on the keyboard if this appears.

If none of the above is applicable (assuming the drive reads other DVDs) then we can replace the Disk for you.
----------------

So. few questions are answered. Recovery CD is a DVD, that's the reason why I can't read my Recovery CD furthermore. As I said, no DVD is recognised, only CD's ... and the solution will be a new DVD drive as far as I can see.

kee-lo_

Why don't they listen to me? Because I'm only a customer, who they feel, is a know-it-all, and they don't like that!

I'm definately not a know it all.

As for the issue, ask them if it would be OK if you send it in on a date when you don't need the notebook as much. They should be able to arrange this for you.

cmsd
Visitor

Yeah, personally I've the feeling Sony & Co want to sell their products to each and anyone worldwide, but don't call in the customer service please. Would be better for them to print somewhere in their brochures, after warranty or in trouble, please see your next Sony dealer or shop and buy a new piece :laughing:

May be no a know-it-all, but you know what is ongoing here very well with Sony & troubles, handicaps, etc.

In regard to the repair, already done so. I'd arrange everything todays afternoon with them and it's possible within three days (personal delivery/pick-up of course) to manage. Seems to be fair enough as I read here in the forum on weeks for repairs and others.

kee-lo_

3 days is a good trun-around.

I try my best to know whats going on in the VAIO world... :cool:

cmsd
Visitor

Yes I know "Kee-Lo" you try the best here on Sony & Co - by the way congratulation to your 25,000 postings here 😉

Now, Sony has checked my drive last days - AND the drive is okay!

There is a software fault between aspi, cdrom.sys, config.sys, autoexec.bat and some files of WXPP SP2 - where and why I don't know what to do further.

I uninstalled SP2 again one's more to find out more but without any successful result.

Any other idea and suggestions?

Txs.

kee-lo_

Hi

Wow, Sony didn't format the machine? This is a novelty.

What error message do you get?

If you download ForceASPI it has an ASPI removal tool, that will return it to the state it was before I asked you to do that

kee-lo_

Thanks for your kind words btw :slight_smile:

cmsd
Visitor

Thanks for your kind words btw :slight_smile:

welcome, my pleasure
:slight_smile: