Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-GRX316MP upgrading ram size

GordonHbm
Visitor

PCG-GRX316MP upgrading ram size

Hi!
I use my laptop for photographic use which involves image editing in Photoshop CS, using RAW image files that are ~8MB and since I use layers extensively files can easily exceed 150MB.
I have 2 x 256 Ram installed and run XP Pro. Before I start PhotoshopCS the available Ram is ~300MB. I would dearly like to go to 2 x 500MB RAM - is this possible and how do I do it?
Many thanks for your help
GordonHbm

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

As I said in my previous post, I had to select the GRX600 series to get access to the 512Mb chips. I have 1Gb in my GRX316SP - Sony said that it could only support 512Mb but they were wrong and I believe they did this because 512Mb chips weren't generally available at the time the computer was released.

kee-lo_

What worries me though Rob is that maybe this 1GB of RAM and the soldering going might have something in common.

robpaxton
Explorer

No, it doesn't. The soldering problem occurs even to people who haven't upgraded their memory.

kee-lo_

Ah I see...

Thankfully they have learnt from that mistake :pray:

GordonHbm
Visitor

Rob
My understanding from your post is that the PCG-GRX316MP will recognise and accept a pair of matched 512MB DDR chips and that I merely have to plug them in. Am I corrcet in my understanding.
Many thanks to all who have replied to this thread.
regards
gordon

robpaxton
Explorer

Yes, I also know of one other user of this forum who upgraded his GRX316 to 1Gb.

kee-lo_

Think DT upgraded his 316SP

GordonHbm
Visitor

Rob
Thanks for the input. Will I need to flash the bios and if so can you direct me to the necessary info and source.
Thanks for all your help.
Gordon

kee-lo_

It's all in www.vaio-link.com under upgrades.