Join now - be part of our community!

nvidia drivers

tdw197
Visitor

nvidia drivers

I have just bought a vgn fs285H with a nvidia 6200 graphics card. I am trying to install the latest drivers, and following the instructions, first i uninstall and restart the computer. But before i can install the new drivers the add new hardware wizard reinstalls the old drivers.
Can anyne help

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Desktop graphics cards will always have better cooling than their Laptop counterparts.

Well summed up, case closed really

tdw197
Visitor

if you want to run the latest games, then you need the latest drivers.

If it matters, with the 8.1.98 drivers (as opposed to the 7x.xx one preinstalled) the frame rate in doom 3 incresed by 30%

a huge increase and the difference between playable and unplayable

:heart_eyes:

William
Visitor

I don't use Laptops for playing games, or my desktop for that matter.

I have three consoles and a PSP for that. I used to use desktops but gave up trying to keep up with processors and video cards just to play the latest games.

Please just promise me that you won't overclock it (assuming you can) as you may be less than happy with the end result.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree you need the latest drivers.
But Sony don't see their VAIOs as gaming units which is a little crazy. They hope we buy PS3s (or 2s for now)

William
Visitor

I agree you need the latest drivers.
But Sony don't see their VAIOs as gaming units which is a little crazy. They hope we buy PS3s (or 2s for now)

I agree I thought the "I" in "VAIO" stood for integration.

The last game I actually finished was Halo 2 on the X Box.

tdw197
Visitor

Indeed
I don't intend to overclock or go "too far"
But i didn't spend a small fortune on a high spec laptop to have to go out and more money on a console.....
And somehow i don't quite think an nvidia 6200 is going to overheat?
thanks for all of your help,

tom

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Sorry, but I have to disaggree here.
Labtops aren't designed for gaming. Manufacturers put faster and faster graphic chips and CPUs in their labtops. Because people like you want desktop power in a small labtop.

The problem is here that the Graphic Chips are developed on and for desktop PCs. The only different to a mobile chip is, that they added a few things for reducing energy usage during the idle mode. And maybe they reduce the perfomence itself to keep the temperature more cool.

A INVIDA 6200 mobile isn't compare able to a Intel Centrino. Its more compare able to a Pentium 4 mobile or something like that.

Did you ever used a labtop with a Pentium 4 desktop CPU? I use one every day. Lots of CPU power, more than as an Centrino. But I couldn't say it's a quite work. And the CPU overheat permanently if the CPU usage rises up to 100%.

You can't have desktop power on a mobile device. Thats a dream-wish. And the fun cost 1-2/3 more than a compare able desktop.

carthorian
Visitor

Sorry, but I have to disaggree here.
Labtops aren't designed for gaming. Manufacturers put faster and faster graphic chips and CPUs in their labtops. Because people like you want desktop power in a small labtop.

The problem is here that the Graphic Chips are developed on and for desktop PCs. The only different to a mobile chip is, that they added a few things for reducing energy usage during the idle mode. And maybe they reduce the perfomence itself to keep the temperature more cool.

A INVIDA 6200 mobile isn't compare able to a Intel Centrino. Its more compare able to a Pentium 4 mobile or something like that.

Did you ever used a labtop with a Pentium 4 desktop CPU? I use one every day. Lots of CPU power, more than as an Centrino. But I couldn't say it's a quite work. And the CPU overheat permanently if the CPU usage rises up to 100%.

You can't have desktop power on a mobile device. Thats a dream-wish. And the fun cost 1-2/3 more than a compare able desktop.

Now it's my turn to correct someone. First of all, Centrino isn't an intel cpu, it's a combination of chipset, cpu and a wireless integration

But to get back to the intention of your post. I know what you mean. The desktop cpu (central processing unit) are faster (and hotter) then the mobile cpu. Same goes for the gpu (graphic processing unit).

Most notebooks aren't designed for gaming. They have a good graphic card for image or video editing. Some notebooks are used for gaming, but they are:

They cost 2x as much as the same desktop computer.
They still don't have the same result as that desktop computer
It isn't portable anymore, unless you find a > 5kg portable.

edit: grammar corrections

William
Visitor

Now it's my turn to correct someone. First of all, Centrino isn't an intel product, it's a product on it's own. Intel buys Centrino and integrates it into his CPU. AMD also has cpu's with Centrino on it.

Centrino is the build in technology for integrated wireless network into the cpu .

Now it's my turn to correct someone. First of all,

I have always believed that a Centrino is:

1. Intel® Pentium® M processor
2. Mobile Intel® 915 Express chipset family or Intel® 855 chipset family
3. Intel® PRO/Wireless Network Connection Family

Nothing "extra" is integrated into the processor, The Chipset is Intel and the Wireless Network capability is Intel. :cool:

Additionally because Intel do "own" Centrino AMD have had to come up with their own which for obvious reasons cannot be named "Centrino".

AMD

tdw197
Visitor

My laptop IS a centrino laptop, you can check on the sony website: vgn fs285H.

I do not want to use it as a "gaming laptop" but i quite like to play the odd game, when i have a free moment and don't fancy buying a new machine to do this.
As of now i can quite easily play half life 2, and the laptop is not too hot (the fan comes on every couple of minutes or so), i'm playing with it on my lap

From what i understand centrino does not concern the gpu, some laptops do use the on-board intel graphics, but some centrino laptops use seperate gpus (as does mine)

To get back to the thread since i installed the drivers yesterday, i have noticed a vast improvement in game play (i only have doom3 and hl2) and a faster speed in editing photos. While i haven't measured i don't htink there has been any difference in heat produced.