Join now - be part of our community!

New Vaio PCG-K115Z - Matshita UJ-820D - Problems writing cdr...

MacTerminator
Visitor

New Vaio PCG-K115Z - Matshita UJ-820D - Problems writing cdr...

I hope someone can help - This is my first Laptop. I have built my own computers in the past, so my knowledge is quite good. However I am totally baffled by this recorder.

On the Sony site under that model it tells me that the Optical drive is A pioneer 😞

I have tried to find a Firmware for this drive, but cannot put my hands on one at all. I am using nero 6. It appears to burnd DVd ok.

Please help if you can.

MacT:smileyconfused:

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Pioneer and Matshita are partners.
As for the CD-R issue, can you tell me a bit more?

MacTerminator
Visitor

Pioneer and Matshita are partners.
As for the CD-R issue, can you tell me a bit more?

The media I am using is Data Safe Media Silvers 52X - never had any probs with these discs on my desktop using Nero 6 -

All I have tried is backing up some Data of the Laptop Hard Drive, Hit the burn button and I get the following message

"inavlid field in parameter"
"MATSHITA UJ-820D"
"could not perform StartTrack"

The Data I am backing up is a Drivers folder for the Sony Vaio Laptop.

I can send you the log file it this helps - (The Nero log file)

MacT -:)

ps I thought Matshita was Panasonic ?

kee-lo_

These Sony drives are sensitive, so you have to buy them higher grade media, had the same issue with Discrite.

MacTerminator
Visitor

These Sony drives are sensitive, so you have to buy them higher grade media, had the same issue with Discrite.

Will give that a try -I did think that that may be the case. I am trying to create data disc through Neros speed test utility - seems to be writing to disc - how strange - will let you know the outcome.

Cheers for you quick responce...

Regards

MacT :smileygrin:

kee-lo_

No problem Mac.

MacTerminator
Visitor

Hello Again

Have tried a higher grade TDK - still no joy. I have also done the burn test in Nero, this works, writes test data to lower grade disc, no problem.

This is getting really weird. And it is also really starting to piss me off bog time. If you have any mor suggestions or perhaps pointing me in the direction of a newer firmware or a firmware that you know is compatible with this drive. I think this may be my last option, before I contact Sony and get them to replace or repair drive if it is a hardware fault that is ?

MacT:smileysad: :cry:

suvretta
Visitor

Dear MacT
I have the same laptop as you and the Matshita drive. I have the exact same problem. I use verbatim CDR'S which are known as being one of the best CDR Media's around so i don't think that the media is the issue here. Region Free DVD & Remote Selector do not support this Matshita Drive which tells me there is new hardware restrictions from within the drive. This may be the cause of why Nero 6 does not work. I am wondering if the drive only likes the Sony Software that it came with. If that is the case i will not be happy as i purchased this laptop to give me freedom of movement and not to be restricted as to what i can install and use. Sorry i can not give you any practical advice just thought you ought to know you are not alone in your troubles

kee-lo_

Hmm, I have no idea why this is happening, I guess a case at eSupport can't harm.

suvretta
Visitor

Dear MacT
I have just upgraded from Nero 6.011 to Nero 6.3 Platinum Edition and the problem has been solved. It now writes without any problem at all. I think nero 6.011 needed an update on the device driver for the UJ-820.
Hope this info helps.
Suvretta:smileygrin: