Join now - be part of our community!

Music Production and my VGN-FW21M

profile.country.en_GB.title
radaget
New

Music Production and my VGN-FW21M

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I'm using my FW21M laptop for music production and having a few issues which are making me think i either need a Mac or a Windows Laptop more suited music production.

The problem is I want to use it 'live' to play VST instruments through my DAW but every so often the laptop freezes/crashes which obviously I can not have in a live environment (it's ok for a home studio because I can just reboot the system and carry on although far from ideal). I don't know why this is happening. I have heard of something called DPC latency and DPC spikes but have no idea if this is related or how good / bad my sony is in relation to this. I use Reaper as my DAW which is not processor hungry, a number of VSTi's and have an external Novation NIO 2/4 audio interface and an E-MU Xboard 61 midi keyboard / controller.

Any ideas?

I totally understand that the laptop isn't designed to be used in professional music production but i thought the specs would be ok. Ideally i want to sort the problem out because I really love the laptop even though it's a few years old.

To make it more suitable to music making, I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 64bit and also upgraded the hard drive to a faster 7800rpm device with more memory. I doubt the OS or hard drive will have any impact on the laptop freezing or crashing though....

Many thanks

Tim

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
nikkilim
Visitor

Try to check if your specs are enough for the application to run.

Open task manager then resource monitor. Try to see if it always go to 100% CPU utilization or if the RAM is emough to run that application. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif