Join now - be part of our community!

High pitched sound

TurboVaughan
Visitor

High pitched sound

My Vaio VGN-FE21S has started to make a very high frequency sound. As an old scrote I can't really hear it but its driving my teenaged kids bananas. Apparently the sound disappears when I close the lid, so maybe it's the screen or perhaps the cable leading to it.

Also the notebook runs pretty hot (I have started another thread asking how to clean the fan). Maybe that has an effect on some component or other.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
TurboVaughan
Visitor

Well I sat down with my son andgot him to tell me if itsbetter or worse while I tried various things. What we found was that the brighter the backlight was the higher was the frequency and the louder was the sound. So I guess its the backlight itself or maybe with whatever component (rheostat?) controls the brightness of the screen.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Vaughan

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Vaughan,

From what you say it does sound like something in LCD or backlight circuit. It could be the Inverter which supplies the screen's high voltage.

Unfortunately, it will need to be looked at by a qualified repairer if you can't live with it.

Just to give you an idea - inverters for your model seem to cost $80 to $120 - you can check costs HERE - plus labour of course.

I attach the manual for your model - you will see the Inverter on page 9. Is this where the noise is coming fron - the base of the screen?

:wink:

TurboVaughan
Visitor

Yes that seems to be where its coming from. Thanks Blencojo. Now I just need to find someone to fix it.
:slight_smile: