Join now - be part of our community!

HDD space running out and noisy fan!

claire-louise
Visitor

HDD space running out and noisy fan!

hiya,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I have a vaio notebook the PCG-K415B, and I seem to always be having problems with my HDD! Orginally the HDD didnt have D drive (I asked for help from you guys then, and you did help me!) and sadly I was made to reinstall everything now I have a problem with my HDD it seems to think I only have 23% free space, I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and Microsoft Antispyware going all the time and it doesnt think I have Spyware or viruses! They are both up to date!

The problem is that I dont know what I cant delete from my Remove and Add list without removing something vital! Also I have noticed that my Computer has an extremely loud, I know Vaio is known for not having a quiet fan but this just seems exceptionally load! What can I do to stop it being so loud, and what do I do with the space allowance on my HDD if any of you could help me I would be ever so grateful!!

Claire Louise :pray:

Plus Merry Christmas and Hope you have a wonderful 2006 to all the workers at Vaio!!

52 REPLIES 52
t4tommo
Visitor

Hi Claire Louise,
I am not a regular on here but I am very familiar with MSI Installer. This is a service used by Microsoft Software Update Services SUS. It is worth you checking C:\WINDOWS\temp and find out if you have multiple duplicate files with slightly different names. I had a similar problem recently on one of my servers, this temp file had propogated to nearly 10gig. Anyway the cause of the problem is Windows Automatic updates has a corrupted file. I can't remember seeing which operating system you were using but I will guess it is XP Home. Therefore go to Microsoft Updates and reload the latest installer and all updates. This may be a solution, it was for me. After you finish empty your temp file and give your system a good defragment.
Best Wishes

Tom

PS I love the part of France you are in!:smileywink:

GBS
Visitor

Have you re-installed speedswitch XP?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but I don’t think that either Speedstep or Speedswitch function with the Intel Celeron D Processor 345. As far as I am aware only Mobile processors with Intel SpeedStep technology are supported. Hence no drop from 3.06GHz.

Hi Rich

Thanks for figuring this out, I just assumed all the K series were speedstep enabled. Wrong, it is only the Z models (as far I can see).

Hi Claire-Louise

Thanks for the Birthday and Christmas greetings. Had a great time and hope you did too.
Sorry about sending you down the wrong track with speedswitch.:smileyconfused:

I hope you get the problem sorted out.

Have a Happy 2006.
cheers GBS

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi GBS,

You quite naturally assumed that all models of the same series use similar processors. The only factor that you forgot to take into account was Sony:smileywink:

Claire-Louise,

I really feel that it is time for you to contact Sony Support. None of the solutions that members have suggested seem to have had any effect and running your notebook at the temperatures reported will only do harm in the long term.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
claire-louise
Visitor

Hi GBS,

Thank you for trying to help me, I understand that from your point of view, its not easy to be able to know how exactly each of Sony's Millions of Computers work. I appreciate that you tried and for that I am grateful, Sadly it didnt work!

I also hope I get my computer sorted out!!

Claire Louise

Happy New Year

claire-louise
Visitor

Hi

Thank you for you help (and yes your correct, I do indeed use WinXP Home!).

I have already re installed everything on to my computer and that cleared the problem with regards to MSI installer! But thank you again for your help anyway!!

Claire Louise

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Derien

A bientot :slight_smile:
Bonne année!!

claire-louise
Visitor

Cher Kee-Lo

Merci pour les souhaits de Nouvel an, je vous souhaite pareil !

Faites attention

Claire Louise

Dear Rich,

how do I contact Sony Support, using Email only, my parents have agreed to take my computer back to Uk as they are going back in January, for 2 weeks, so I need to contact SOny but I am not paying the phone bill!!

any advice!

kee-lo_

You need to go to www.vaio-link.com and click on the esupport link. You will probably need an account so try and get one (I say try as the server is dodgy at best).

@+

claire-louise
Visitor

Hello Sony Staff,

This is going to sound like a stupid question with regards to my problem, but I have being advised very kindly by most of your to report my problem to sony, well I have agreed to and hopefully my parents will take my computer back with them when they go back in January if indeed it needs to be checked but my question is: What do I say to the Sony staff as in what is exactly my problem with my computer, I am getting so confused that I dont know. My mobimeter reading seems to be reading 55 degrees thou it goes up to 59 occassionaly, is that still to high??

Please help, I am so embrassed!

Claire louise:smileyshhh: [:">]

kee-lo_

Hi Claire-Louise,

Don't be embarrased, we've all been through this at one point in our lives, and yes it does get easier with time.

Explain to them that the laptop is overheating - and give them the tempretures you have experienced.

HTH