Join now - be part of our community!

HDD space running out and noisy fan!

claire-louise
Visitor

HDD space running out and noisy fan!

hiya,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I have a vaio notebook the PCG-K415B, and I seem to always be having problems with my HDD! Orginally the HDD didnt have D drive (I asked for help from you guys then, and you did help me!) and sadly I was made to reinstall everything now I have a problem with my HDD it seems to think I only have 23% free space, I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and Microsoft Antispyware going all the time and it doesnt think I have Spyware or viruses! They are both up to date!

The problem is that I dont know what I cant delete from my Remove and Add list without removing something vital! Also I have noticed that my Computer has an extremely loud, I know Vaio is known for not having a quiet fan but this just seems exceptionally load! What can I do to stop it being so loud, and what do I do with the space allowance on my HDD if any of you could help me I would be ever so grateful!!

Claire Louise :pray:

Plus Merry Christmas and Hope you have a wonderful 2006 to all the workers at Vaio!!

52 REPLIES 52
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I have found nothing with msi in my registary files (well the ones you asked me to check!)

Hi Clare Louise,

Perhaps the system log will provide some further information.

Click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Have a look at the Application log for any entry with “Warning” in the Type field, at a time that you started your computer.

Double clicking on these entries will provide more detail.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
paul_codd
Visitor

Surely it shouldn't matter where the laptop was bought with regard to service at least in Europe that is. (Beauty of the European Union, I suppose)

You could always just call French customer support (if you speak fluent French) or even U.K support, who will point you in the right direction.

As for temperature, that does seem odd and you should have it looked at. (Though my FS215S sits at 50*C and 25 *C for the HD when the fan adjusts the temperature, this is probably due to the external graphics card in my case though)

Programs wise:
Unless you select the
Add Remove Windows components Tab, it shouldn't be possible to remove vital software.

As for software you can remove, it's an issue of what you use and what you don't use. Obviously keep applications which you use every day (things like Microsoft Office, Norton Antivirus, Your Music player, Photo editor whatever) anything else is safe to remove. Remove anything you don't use, if in the future you suddenly realise that you need it, you can always install it again.

Another possible reason for running out of HDD space, how much photo's music files etc have you stored on that laptop? If it's a large quantity then put the files which you want to keep but don't need everyday onto a DVD or something, thus clearing space on your HDD, but keeping those vital and special holiday pics safe.

Hope that helps

claire-louise
Visitor

ok result is:

16.12.05 source is MSIinstaller
Detection of product '{C6F5B6CF-609C-428E-876F-CA83176C021B}', feature 'Complete' failed during request for component '{A07EA0AF-E117-4A34-8D54-5D826F12988C}'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

15.12.05 source is Userenv
Windows saved user YOUR-D9C4BD7DB4\Weezy registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

15.12.05 source is MSIinstaller

Detection of product '{C6F5B6CF-609C-428E-876F-CA83176C021B}', feature 'Complete' failed during request for component '{6EA56B47-0667-460E-A91B-53AA80E3616D}'

14.12.05 source is WinMgmt (ERROR NOT WARNING)
WinMgmt could not initialize the core parts. This could be due to a badly installed version of WinMgmt, WinMgmt repository upgrade failure, insufficient disk space or insufficient memory.

14.12.05 source is securityCenter (ERROR NOT WARNING)
The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

13.12.05 Source was winmgmt
WMI ADAP failed to connect to namespace \\.\root\cimv2 with the following error: 0x80040154

WMI ADAP was unable to process the performance libraries: 0x80041001

13.12.05 source was messenger
The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( Messenger ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: msnmsgr.exe, 7.5.311.0, msgplush.dll, 3.61.0.145, 000014b6.

there is loads, I am trying to send my log viewer informtation to you on this to you on this, but I cant so, I am sorry about that!

Hope this helps claire lousie

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clare Louise,

I am pretty certain that the culprit is the first item on the list:

16.12.05 source is MSIinstaller
Detection of product '{C6F5B6CF-609C-428E-876F-CA83176C021B}', feature 'Complete' failed during request for component '{A07EA0AF-E117-4A34-8D54-5D826F12988C}'

To be sure of this reboot your computer and make a note of the exact time that you receive the error message “This MSI must be launched through setup” and then check the system log again for the same warning at that time.

This product and component are connected with Norton AntiVirus 2005. Have you installed/uninstalled or updated this program recently? If so I suggest that you have a look at the following links:

Uninstalling and reinstalling Norton AntiVirus 2005 - here.
Windows Installer CleanUp utility - here.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
claire-louise
Visitor

Hi Rich,

In the end.. I took everyone else's advice! I reinstalled my computer again!!

On the matter of temperture, I am worried I have given the wrong information. I have used mobimeter to get my readings and it says (after my computer has being running just under an hour!)

Frequency 3.06Ghz its readings are from the drive (WinXp)

Temperture 62 Degress celcuis

Charge Rate 0.06W

HDD #0 40.0 degress celcuis (surely this is the temperture you want?)

I am very relecuant to give the computer to vaio for two simple reasons 1. I am a student and I havent got a lot of money, I know its within my guarantee but I have had this problem with other computer companies and they find a problem that isnt in the "covered" in the guarantee. The charge you the world to repair it, I havent got the money to be doing that! 2. I live in France!!

If you have any solutions to this I would be happy to try it out! I hope you can see my dilema!!

Claire Louise

Merry Christmas and Happy new year to everyone!

GBS
Visitor

Hi Claire-Louise

Have you re-installed speedswitch XP?
It the bottom it has a little flag: right click on this then set it for dynamic switching. This way the processor will run at 1.6GHz most of the time and only jump up to 3.06GHz when the demand requires it. The higher the processor speed, the higher the temperature.

HTH.

Mine running quietly at 49 degrees (processor, not HDD) at 1.6. It goes up to 65 degrees if I leave it on 3.06GHz doing exactly the same things and the fan is working flat out.

claire-louise
Visitor

Hi GBS,

Hi I have just reinstalled Switchsystem xp (or whatever the name of the program is!) and I have got it on Dynamic switching! on both the batteries and when its on AC! May I ask do I want it on debugging mode??

I temperture is 64 degress celcius and my Frequency hasnt changed, so I dont know if thats normal!! But I will give it a chance to work and I will give you a update soon as i have got time!! in the next couple of days.. Please remind me with christmas and the alchohol consumption that will be taken I am sure a minor amensia may come over me and I will forget about giving you an update!!!

Thank you and Merry christmas GBS and Happy New Year

I hope this works!!

Claire Lousie

GBS
Visitor

Hmm, it should drop down to the slower speed pretty soon after booting up.

I don't have debug mode ticked.

Do you have Tune - Up Utilities?

Have a really good Christmas. I was in the Jura region while watching the Tour de France last year. Loved it. Drank heaps of Jura red..... even my cousin landed up drinking it, and he is normally a tea-total.... So I am sure you will have a good one.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You lucky man GBS

64 sounds a bit better

Merry Christmas to you too

claire-louise
Visitor

Hi GBS,

Sadly I dont have Tune-up Utilities, or even know what it is!!

This area of France (Where I live- on the Jura Region!) seems very interested in Wine! Every weekend in the summer, well from January really, there is a Wine tasting festival in some part of the Jura Region! It great fun, makes you feel very sick, but its all part and parcel of french life!

I am glad to hear you had fun when you came out here last year, it is a very nice place and its so different to UK! I am glad to hear your cousin enjoyed it, I wonder if hes still Tee-total???

My temperture according to mobimeter is 58 degress thou it keeps going up, I have restarted computer and thats what its reading is!!

Have a Great Christmas and a wonderful New Year!!

Dont drink to much!!

Claire Louise