Join now - be part of our community!

HDD space running out and noisy fan!

claire-louise
Visitor

HDD space running out and noisy fan!

hiya,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I have a vaio notebook the PCG-K415B, and I seem to always be having problems with my HDD! Orginally the HDD didnt have D drive (I asked for help from you guys then, and you did help me!) and sadly I was made to reinstall everything now I have a problem with my HDD it seems to think I only have 23% free space, I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and Microsoft Antispyware going all the time and it doesnt think I have Spyware or viruses! They are both up to date!

The problem is that I dont know what I cant delete from my Remove and Add list without removing something vital! Also I have noticed that my Computer has an extremely loud, I know Vaio is known for not having a quiet fan but this just seems exceptionally load! What can I do to stop it being so loud, and what do I do with the space allowance on my HDD if any of you could help me I would be ever so grateful!!

Claire Louise :pray:

Plus Merry Christmas and Hope you have a wonderful 2006 to all the workers at Vaio!!

52 REPLIES 52
claire-louise
Visitor

i dont know, and I cant remember, I am sorry!!

:s I think it could have being some sort of Diskcleaner (Free on the web) or it was something from MSN, I really cant remember!!

Why do you need to know, is it important?

claire louise

GBS
Visitor

Something else worth looking at with the K-series is that some models have had problems with Vaio Power Management.

The easiest way to solve this is to use:
SpeedswitchXP

Just download it from here and it will sort the high processor usage out.
I have mine set for "dynamic switching". Just right click on the icon in the tray at the bottom right.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clare Louise,

Have a look in the Data field of each of those Registry folders for any file name ending with .MSI

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
claire-louise
Visitor

This is to reply to GPS's message! Thank you for suggesting it, thou I have absolutely no idea (no I have downloaded it) how exactly to use it, any tips would be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks

claire louise

Igloocharlie
Visitor

Firstly, laptops should not be reaching tht temp. very bad. If it still has a warranty then send it to VAIO. Problems like this can be a number of reasons:
poor heatsync,
broken fan,
airway obstruction,
heatsync compound
faulty CPU,
many more

I find it very strange that your computer has not been cut out due to high temp as CPU's have safety techniques to send the kill signals to the PSU (power supply unit).

My K315M is the model below your and has no such problems and is very quiet.

btw: use partition magic for space issues. And if this produces nothing then Sandra Diagnostics. (HOWEVER DO NOT USE UNTIL CPU PROBLEM IS FIXED THESE PROGRAMS WIL SERIOUSLY STRESS HARDWAREAND COULD CAUSE SYSTEM FAILURE IN CPU.)

Bottom line contact VAIO Link ASAP!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree with Charlie

claire-louise
Visitor

Hiya Igloocharlie,

Love your name!! anyway..... I agree with you I need to get it to VaioLink, I have being thinking that for a while now, but the problem being I live in France and my parents bought the computer for my xmas present from UK so its an english garanantee, how am i suppose to get it repaired?? surely being as its an english garantee the french one wont help me????

Please advise!

Thank you Claire louise

claire-louise
Visitor

Hiya Rich,

I have found nothing with msi in my registary files (well the ones you asked me to check!)

What next??

claire louise

claire-louise
Visitor

My parents live with me in UK! I moved here in January 2005 with my fathers job to france, no one lives in UK! sorry I understand that wasnt made very clear! I honestly dont know where it was registered, I think UK because of the fact I bought it in UK therefore i thought i had to register it to a UK address! Is there no way that I can have France or switzerland (I live on the french/swiss border!)?

I have to say if any of you are jealous of me because of where i live I will make you feel even more jealous of me, by saying I have a very good view from my house of the Jura mountain (its gorgeous in the summer watching sunset!) and its snowing here at moment! I just love snow!!

if you could advise about where to take my computer would be grateful!! I mean surely it doesnt matter which country I am in, as long as I have proff of purchase!

claire louise

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Did you register in France? Otherwise I guess you would have to take it to your parents place here in the UK for pickup