Join now - be part of our community!

HDD space running out and noisy fan!

claire-louise
Visitor

HDD space running out and noisy fan!

hiya,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I have a vaio notebook the PCG-K415B, and I seem to always be having problems with my HDD! Orginally the HDD didnt have D drive (I asked for help from you guys then, and you did help me!) and sadly I was made to reinstall everything now I have a problem with my HDD it seems to think I only have 23% free space, I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and Microsoft Antispyware going all the time and it doesnt think I have Spyware or viruses! They are both up to date!

The problem is that I dont know what I cant delete from my Remove and Add list without removing something vital! Also I have noticed that my Computer has an extremely loud, I know Vaio is known for not having a quiet fan but this just seems exceptionally load! What can I do to stop it being so loud, and what do I do with the space allowance on my HDD if any of you could help me I would be ever so grateful!!

Claire Louise :pray:

Plus Merry Christmas and Hope you have a wonderful 2006 to all the workers at Vaio!!

52 REPLIES 52
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clare-Louise,

As far as the free space is concerned, right click the drive in My Computer, select Properties and go to the General tab and click Disk Cleanup. This will report files that you can safely remove together with a description of what they are and any consequences of removal.
Also have a look at Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. There may be applications there that you no longer use.

Re speed problems, I fear that we may be back to the CPU temperature problems. Did you every get around to cleaning those cooling vents?

In your other post you mention "MSI must run in startup! – do you mean “...run at Setup”?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
claire-louise
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thank you for getting back to me, and I am somewhat surprised you remember me but never mind, anyway I have done the disk cleanup it makes no difference. I dont know what half of the stuff on my add/remove list is.. I dont want to delete something important!

I did try and clean them the way you suggested but the problem never went!
I have mobilemeter on at the moment it believes that Frequency is 3.06GHz, Temperture is between 69 -71 degress Centigrade, discharge rate is 42.77W and HDD #O 43.0 degrees centigrade.

The quote that comes up in start up is " MSI must run through startup or something similar exact phrase cant remember!!

What is happening to my poor Vaio???

Claire Louise

:cry:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clare Louise,

The temperature reported is far too high for your processor. The reason that you are experiencing system slowdown is that passive cooling is kicking in. ie when the CPU temperature reaches a critical level the processor speed is reduced (by the system) in an attempt to lower the temperature.

You need to have this looked at asap as either your fan is not working correctly or the vents are partially blocked.

The difference between “Startup” and “Setup” in the error message is important for the diagnosis of the problem. Check it out and come back to us.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
claire-louise
Visitor

hiya Rich,

Right.. I am sorry for the slow delay my computer seems to have problems with replying to your post! Anyway the MSI thing says "This MSI must be launched through setup", I hope this helps you with your enquiry. With relation to mine, The computer has being on all morning and the temperture is only 62 degrees centegrade which alot less then it has being! I am still curious as to why the computer is so noisy with regards to the fan as well as to why my computer has such a short battery life (45 mins if that!) when not connected to a mains, is that normal??

I need to have some advice as to what to do with my Add and remove to get space on my computer, I mean I dont know what I have installed and what has being installed by Vaio (when I got the computer) that isnt very important! I have even defragemented my computer and nothing seems to help! I have noticed recently that my Microsoft Antispyware will not connect to the internet! Is that because of the MSI?

Sorry its so long this, I just hope I can sort the problem out!

claire louise:smileycry:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That sounds like something Office once said to me when it wasn't happy with the install, so I did a reinstall, went away.

As for the hard disk space I'd have a snoop around, see whats using all that space.

Rich is right though, I'd have it checked out, sounds like it needs a clearout

claire-louise
Visitor

Ok, how much does a clear out cost roughly? My parents bought the computer for my birthday in March and bought it in Uk! but I live in France!! and the computer is with me?? Surely I will have to pay a lot to have it cleared out?

Also what exactly does a clear out involve? I have read some of the stories on this forum with regard to sony's customer service skills (or should I say lack of!) and having had a similar problem to one of your stories with a completely different company, but also well known, I am relucant to let the computer out of my sight, as well as the main reason of being I am a student in my third year of my degree and it has all my assignments on it, which obviously I am less then happy to lose my work, even thou its backed up!!

I know I am probably a over worrying female student to you and your probably tell me to shut up (obviously not in so many words!) but as a woman I feel I need to worry about things especially as I dont live in Uk!

Also I know Rich is right, he told me the same thing last time I had the same problem! I am tempted to take your advice and reinstall everything but I seem to have this where i need to reinstall everything on my computer every 3 months at the moment, I am losing a lot of my work not to mention time. I also have to do a complete reinstall because alot of the things I need are included within the vaio when I bought it, and therefore dont have the disks for it!

God bless Sony!!
:s
please advise

Claire louise:smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clare Louise,

If the computer was bought new in March I doubt that dust in the cooling vents will be the problem, unless is has been used in a particularly dusty environment that is. If it was new in March I suggest that you open a case with Sony support and report the temperatures that you are experiencing and also mention the noisy fan.

Re "This MSI must be launched through setup", Kee-Lo is right, something appears to have gone awry with an attempted install at some stage and each time you start your computer an information file is trying to run. To start with, Click Start > Run and type MSCONFIG and hit enter. Have a look on both the Services and Startup tabs for anything that resembles Run, Run Once or Run Services.

If there is nothing obvious in Msconfig, click Start > Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion and look for the same entries (Run, Run Once or Run Services).
Do the same for HKEY_Current_user/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion.
Don’t make any alterations to the registry at this stage, just report back your findings to us.

Re disk space, it is very difficult for us to provide advice on what to remove or leave. Have a look at the programs listed in Add/Remove and decide whether you use each one or not. As Kee-Lo suggested, best to have a scout around in Windows Explorer and see if you can identify any suspiciously large folders.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
claire-louise
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I Couldnt find anything when going through Msconfig, but when I went through regedit (HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion), I found Run with a subsection called optionalcomponents which then break into three seperate folders Imail, MAPI and MSFS and then below Run was Run once and run once ex but nothing in either the Run folder has

Under name section in the run folder it has
{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}
Apoint
ATIPTA
ccApp
gcasServ
HKSERV.EXE
HPDJ Taskbar utility
Mouse suite 98 Deamon
Ominpage
SonypowerCFg
SSC_UserPrompt
SunJavaUpdateSched
Synamtic NetDriver Monitor
Vaio update 2

Which of these are you particularly interested in, so I can give you the neccesary information for it

In the HKEY_Current_user/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion file I found a folder called Run
with the names inside of the folder
CTFMON.EXE
MessengerPlus3
MSMSGS
msnmsgr

again which of these are you interested in?

Hope this sheds light on the problem

Claire louise

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I'm with Rich here, if you send it to VAIO Link if it's not a dust issue then they'll detect it and fix it, and it'll be free as it's still within 12months

What was the last thing you installed?