Join now - be part of our community!

H E L P !! burning problems

luansille
Visitor

H E L P !! burning problems

Hi

I've got a Sony Vaio model VGN-FS115S and have problems burning onto dvds.

The dvds are Philips DVD+RW. I have used Sonic Record Now.

When I make an attempt it spits our the dvd and tells me to put in a new cd. There is nothing wrong with the disc - they are brand new (got 25 of them).

Don't really think it should matter but it is the same whether I want to burn music or a movie.

So, does it matter which dvds I use? Can I not use the dvd but should I use cds instead? Are there a difference besides the amount you can save on them and does it really matter?

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
luansille
Visitor

Rich, am looking up threads as I type:-)... What do you suggest I do? It is still under warrenty...

luansille
Visitor

Can it be updated? I am not very technical with these things. A month ago I did take it to the PC World shop and had my brother (abroad) to give me technical support. PC World managed to burn on a cd.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I suggest that you speak to support on Monday. They will probably ask that you install the firmware update for the drive (available on Vaio-Link), but I doubt that this will have any effect, judging from previous posts on this drive.

It seems that there is a new DW-D56A ver2 drive that is being fitted as a replacement (wheresmybeaver posted this a couple of days ago), when you speak to support quote this to them and insist on speaking to the technical department if you are getting the usual run around from support.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Firmware update from here.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
luansille
Visitor

Thank you Rich, you have been a real help! I will definitely check with support on Monday. Read many other posts by now and it looks like so many have had this problem. Hopefully they will be happy to refit it with the updated version.

Have a nice weekend:)

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Have a nice weekend:)

You too luansille, let us know how you get on.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
luansille
Visitor

as expected update didn't work....hmm will speak with support on monday and keep you updated.
:slight_smile:

luansille
Visitor

Hi all,

Got the laptop to repair. They replaced the drive and I have now had no trouble burning onto cds - but I still cannot use the 25 phillips dvd+rw that i bought long ago.

It is driving me mad. I want to burn some holiday movies so cds are not effective when the files are so large. It won't let me burn music on them either so I am thinking that either it's the drive still playing up or there is something wrong with these dvds, ie they are not compatible. But then I am thinking, should it not accept all types of dvds?

I am so annoyed with this and I have spent so many hours on sorting it out that I am close to giving up.

Any help would be highly appreciated before I chuck this thing out of the window.

sx

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I'd love to know how many DVD drives Sony are wasting every month?
They must be replacing > 1000 from the posts we get here

Wiredchild
Visitor

Hey, my Dad has the same problem with his FS series. I think he said he rang support and they said that the drives are limited to using Sony disks or something.

...Sounds very very cheeky of them if that's true. Have you tried Sony disks??

Dad has loads of problems with his FS series, seems a bit crap to me.