Join now - be part of our community!

Fresh Install of Windows XP.

davehuge
Visitor

Fresh Install of Windows XP.

Hi all, I've just bought a VGN-S5M, love it.

I want to do a fresh install of Windows XP from CD and get rid of a lot of the junk installed on it. Is this possible and would I be able to re-partition the hard drive to one large drive?

How do access the bios so I can set to boot from CD?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dave.

9 REPLIES 9
William
Visitor

It is possible and yes you can have one partition.

As far as I am aware, although I am not familiar with your model, you should already be able to boot from CD before HDD.

Try inserting your XP disk before formatting your HDD, I am sure it will spring into action.

ant1uk
Visitor

DO YOU INTEND DELETEING THE RECOVERY UTILITY?
IF YOU DO MAKE SURE YOU BACK IT UP ON TO DISK BECAUSE THIS IS EXPENSIVE IF YOU DONT

davehuge
Visitor

Am I correct in thinking that all the software for the laptop can be downloaded from Sony's website? So I'll be able to pick and choose which applications I want to install?

Thanks, Dave.

ant1uk
Visitor

I THINK SO BUT I WOULD BACK UP THE RECOVERY ON TO DISK JUST TO BE SAFE.

davehuge
Visitor

Ahh, just found it....Press F2 at boot up to enter BIOS.
Wish me luck, here I go.....:smileyconfused:

ant1uk
Visitor

Ahh, just found it....Press F2 at boot up to enter BIOS.
Wish me luck, here I go.....:smileyconfused:

what did you find?

davehuge
Visitor

Just mean't that I was able to change bios, so that I could boot from CD and do a fresh install of Windows.:smileypeace:

thickloaf
Visitor

good luck dave! its pretty straight forward... buts whats straight forward for some is a nightmare for others. i know a little about reformatting so i can offer you a limited knowledge. and i say limited knowledge. i have formatted a whole load of pc's and latops in the past though. good luck once again mate.

Thickloaf

thickloaf
Visitor

oh and make sure to save a backup of all your drivers!