Join now - be part of our community!

Firewire to External drive SBP2PORT errors

wyerichard
Visitor

Firewire to External drive SBP2PORT errors

I have Sony Vaio FX802 and recentally bought an Iomega 120 GB firewire external drive. Have XP. I was unable to write to the drive via firewire, the system log generated sbp2port error 9.
I think I have now resolved this. The way I did this was to read the web page http://www.bustrace.com/products/delayedwrite.htm which deals with this fault. I downloaded their test software and confirmed that the link failed when the amount of data being sent exceeded 132 sectors. I downloaded a program from a website called http://www.dvico.com/su_down_content.html
under page content 4. Patch driver for increasing firewire stability. The prog was 1394MaxRec_v127.exe and after installing this and running it I was able to read and write to my drive without errors. I gather this problem with firewire is quite prevalent so if this info helps someone else then good luck!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

Thanks for the info Richard - very comprehensive :smileygrin:

kee-lo_

Thanks Richard for that invaluable information

wyerichard
Visitor

You're welcome.
Worst of it was that I connected the drive to a PC with USB 2 ports and immediately started seeing the same errors...annoying but workable around until something happened and the drive dropped of the explorer screen never to be seen again through either firewire or USB on any machine...tried on 3 differerent ones! Returned under warranty - well it will be. Interestingly Iomega say the warranty won't be lost if the case is opened (by a data recovery firm - oops change my hat!) as there is a chance that the drive is ok, just the interface card may be knacked. Iomega don't do data recovery. I'll see if my data recovery firm can plug it into a PC as the slave drive...what fun...expected this sort of stuff in the 80s...not 2004.

kee-lo_

Yeah data recovery can be expensive.
Good luck:smileypeace: