Join now - be part of our community!

Error When Transferring; Won't transfer some tracks for some odd reason???

Wiredchild
Visitor

Error When Transferring; Won't transfer some tracks for some odd reason???

Hey. I got my pocket vaio (VGF-AP1L) today. Took me months to track down as they're not made any more (why is that???)...Anyway, it was well worth it; it rules.

Only issue is that when i transfered all my CD's (About 50 CD's) after importing them to SonicStage and then transfered them to the player...Some tracks wouldn't go and i got the error:

"Transfers are not allowed.

Beautiful
End Of A Century
Ain't No Good
Mexico
Sheep Go To Heaven
A Movie Script Ending
One Day
Latin Simone (¿Qué Pasa Contigo?)
She
Brain Stew
Easy
South Side
Guitar Flute & String
Microphone Fiend
Rip It Up
"

These seem to be entirely random tracks and i can't understand why they won't copy. I've updated fully and formatted the player and tried again several times. Same thing happens.

...Any ideas? tis bugging me.

Also, I know this has probably been asked before...Will there be an update for the Vaio Pocket to play movies?

Thanks, hope someone can help.

7 REPLIES 7
chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi Wiredchild, Welcome to CV:smileyhappy:

A couple of things to check, are those particular tracks in a different format? bitrate?

In the transfer window click the settings box and go to advanced settings, here you can choose the bitrate and default settings for tracks that wont transfer. there is also a check button to just not transfer the tracks at all so make sure this is uncheked.

Btw are you using the latest firmware for the device? & also SS 3.3 is now the most up to date incarnation so its best to use this too (on same link) , just do all the updating in the order suggested, you will have no trouble then.

HTH

C

Wiredchild
Visitor

Hey, thanks for such a warm welcome :slight_smile: . This Vaio stuff rules, my Dad has an FS and my brother an A series...glad i jumped on the bandwagon!

I've done all the updates checked all the transfer settings so they're as you say, however, to my dismay; still the same problem. All the tracks i'm transfering are .wma at 192kbps, that's why i can't understand why some'll transfer and some won't. Just seems irritatingly spontanious.

I'm using "Sonicstage For Connect" version 3.3.03. I got it off the Connect music store site, is that the right version to use??? There seems to be a huge number of versions. I heard something about "Vaio Music Transfer 1.2", what's that like?

...Also, while i'm here. What is the best bitrate to use? I know that sounds stupid as it's up to preference of quality, but, i've been using 64kbps as that was the default and it sounds fine. However, a friend of mine who is a serious DJ said it's unwise to touch below 192kbps even on personal audio and if i was to amplify my tracks at 64kpbs (say on a home stereo) it'd sound poor.

The version of Sonicstage i'm using ("Sonicstage For Connect" version 3.3.03) also doesn't give me the option of Atrac3Plus, any reason for that?

Thanks again, sorry for all the questions; i'm pretty new to this.

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi Wiredchild, Good old DRM is getting in the way here I think with the tracks that wont transfer, SS has only just been opened up to this format very recently so Im guessing that the wma files cant be authorised. best bet is to burn them to an audio CD and re rip to SS. ugly but it will work lol.

You will need to rip CDs direct into SS to get tracks into Atrac3plus and unfortunatley I dont use the Vaio music transfer as all my stuff is an Atrac so I dont know really, but see below the txt from here.
This utility allows you to transfer and play MP3 files, without conversion, on the VAIO Pocket player (firmware 3.0.0.C171 required) and many other Sony ATRAC devices (except Minidisc).

I use 132kbps Atrac for most of my collection, imo its about as good as 192mp3 but with less space. However, Atrac3+ 256k is superb and I use this for my favorite albums and recorded vinyl, your friend is right about 64kbps, its plenty good enough for headphones or in car but not much else, very small file size tho.

The version you are using should be OK as the Connect bit is for Sonys download site, fwiw I have 3.3 fromhere

And no worries for the questions, its a forum after all! hehe :smileygrin:

C

Wiredchild
Visitor

Alright mate, cheers v much for the support...I think i'm going to go for the atrac3+ 256kb. After all the Vaio has 40GB, so...It should be able to hold a lot of files still, right?...How big is file size of an average album (around 12 tracks) at that bitrate on Atrac3+?

Hi Wiredchild, Good old DRM is getting in the way here I think with the tracks that wont transfer, SS has only just been opened up to this format very recently so Im guessing that the wma files cant be authorised.

I'd agree though, ALL the files i've been transfering have been .wma's. I had about 50 albums ripped on Media Player because that's what i use. I just imported all the files as .wma's then converted them when transfering to the Vaio. Almost all of them worked apart from that small bunch in my first post.

I got another album today, ripped it to media player, then imported to SS as .wma, when i transfered that album, only 12/15 tracks were "allowed"...This is annoying me.

I really really really really don't want to have to rip these all again. Is there any way to simply convert all my wma's, to Atrac3+ 256kbps???

chris_lewis
Visitor

Unfortunatley you are gonna have to re-rip your CD's to get 256 Atrac3+, even if you could convert your wma files they wouldnt sound any different/better as they are encoded at 192 so will never give you more quality than whats there already, you have to rip direct from CD to get the best quality, file size @ 256k is about 150meg for a whole 80 min CD.

You can rip to wma through SS if you want to stick to the format, this may save some bother. Open the import CD window and click on settings, choose wma and off you go.

If you can accept using SS all the time I would, theres some cool playlist options now too (Dynamic Playlists) and dispite previous incarnations being a bit minimal it now has everything you need, cover art too!!

One other thing SS now supports Atrac lossless audio (for PC playback), so on your PC you rip a top quality recording 30 - 80% smaller than the original file size, you then choose which bitrate audio you want to transfer to your device, up to a max of 256 Atrac3+, the transfer speeds are lightning quick when using this method too. I play music through my PC quite a bit and it makes a very noticable difference.

Sorry its not all good news,

C

Wiredchild
Visitor

Ah, well...I suppose it's better to get a decent audio quality now. After all, like you say, you can only decrease the quality once it's on the PC, not increase it.

...*Takes a look at the big pile of CD's*. It's midnight exactly. This is going to be a long night.

Thanks for all the help chaps. I hope this re-ripping'll sort out the issues with some of the files that won't transfer. If not, i won't hesistate to bother you chaps again now you've been such a help!

chris_lewis
Visitor

No worries:smileycool: