Join now - be part of our community!

Cooling fans not stopping

phil42a
Visitor

Cooling fans not stopping

:thinking: Hi , I just received the new Vaio VGC M1. Surprisingly the cooling fan does not stop when the system enters stand-by mode... which is quite annoying . Anyone else having this problem ? or an explanation ?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

This is probably a measure to protect the PCs hardware.

Does it go off after a while?
A Compaq desktop of ours did this, and it stopped after 30mins.

phil42a
Visitor

Been trying you advice, PC in stand -by mode for '40 mn now and fans still in operation ... seems a bit long to me.

kee-lo_

Does the same happen when fully shut down?

phil42a
Visitor

No actually, when entering hibernation, the fan is stopped immediatly after the display is turned off. Same for the complete shut down.

kee-lo_

I think it happens because it's keeping the TV card cool so when you boot up it's ready to go for recordings.

phil42a
Visitor

Hum, if so, then not very convenient... you can't keep your machine with the fan on for days if you wish to record a TV program when you are out. I had a W1 before which did not behave this way. I hope there is nothing wrong with the fan control. I worked on some video compression yesterday and the fan kept running in idle mode...

kee-lo_

If you are worried don't hesitate to call VAIO-Link.
The phone number is on their site and if you have a working esupport account you can ask there.

phil42a
Visitor

OK, thanks for helping, I will check that out with them.