Join now - be part of our community!

16:9 TV Output

induct
Visitor

16:9 TV Output

When I plug my Widescreen TV into my Vaio (Via the TV out) the picture on the TV is streched. The Vaio screen automatically changes its resoultion to 1024x768 (4:3) which is not a 16:9 ratio. If I then chang the Vaio display to a widescreen ratio the TV find the resolution too high, thus the picture bleeds off the TV.

It may sound a little confusing which I applogise for, but can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
mattbees
Visitor

I know exactly what you mean cos it happens with mine aswell. I think its just due to the fact that TV screens display images in a different way to a PC screen and the TV-out connection is pretty limited with screen resolution settings etc because of that. I cant really explain cos I dont know enough about it but from what Ive read, the TV-out fascility is pretty basic and shoddy. I heard that movies and photos display quite well but thats about it.

chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi, when you change the settings in Windows you are changing the screen resolution not aspect ratios, the only way to get a decent picture is to use a plasma or lcd with an RGB or DVI in newer screens are much more suited to these aplications as they are digital rather than analogue.

C

induct
Visitor

After some playing around I managed to get something suitable.

Vaio auto changed to 1024x768 when the TV connector applied. Run DVD in fullscreen then adjusted the TV aspect ratio accordingly (e.g on Sony TV - Wide, Zoom, 4x3 and Smart)

The picture quality was ok (better than VHS) via the composite video connector but whats really needed is a S-Video via docking station. Or get your parents up-to-date and buy them a DVD player, typical!