Join now - be part of our community!

cd dvd drive problems on pcg-grt916v

donkeyfun
Visitor

cd dvd drive problems on pcg-grt916v

my DVD CD drive has always worked fine but now it tells me to "insert a Disc in drive" when i am trying to access a CD that I have put into the drive. As if it the disc is faulty; i have tried a few diffent CD's and DVD's. Device manager thinks it is working fine. I have uninstalled the drive from device manager and scanned for devices. It picked up and installed my drive but still have the same problem. I can't reinstall from my VIAO recovery disc as my drive can't access it. Can anyone tell me where i can find CD DVD drive drivers on the viao website and what to do with them as i am not having much luck finding them. Massive Thanks to anyone who can help.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi donkeyfun and welcome to the forum.

Drivers for the optical drive are provided by the operating system, not Sony. The only download available (from Vaio-Link) would be a firmware update and unfortunately this is not offered for your model.

If the re-install of the drive recognised and installed the necessary drivers then, unless you are receiving any error codes, the chances are that the problem is hardware related and the drive will have to be replaced.

One last thing that you could try is cleaning the laser lens, but I really don’t expect that this will solve your problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
carthorian
Visitor

my DVD CD drive has always worked fine but now it tells me to "insert a Disc in drive" when i am trying to access a CD that I have put into the drive. As if it the disc is faulty; i have tried a few diffent CD's and DVD's. Device manager thinks it is working fine. I have uninstalled the drive from device manager and scanned for devices. It picked up and installed my drive but still have the same problem. I can't reinstall from my VIAO recovery disc as my drive can't access it. Can anyone tell me where i can find CD DVD drive drivers on the viao website and what to do with them as i am not having much luck finding them. Massive Thanks to anyone who can help.

When the wizard tells you it has found a driver, there should be a link to select another driver. Try one of those. If that doesn't do the trick your optical drive might need to be replaced.

cmsd
Visitor

hi,

in the past, I had similar troubles with the standard shipped Pioneer DVR-K12DVA (CD-RW/DVD+/-RW Drive).

Told Sony E-support the problem, they replied with ... Windows XP does not natively support dvd writing ... others told me necessary ASPI drivers are missing ... de-install and re-install drivers for ...

and the last good idea of Sony E-support after all -
'this is why we supplied bundled dvd writing software' on top in indicating 'Though those softwares will only run on the preinstalled operating system. We can only suggest you to check for third-party dvd writing software which will help you in writing to dvd discs.'

fine - how to do re-install the original recovery again when the drive does not read, regocnise any cd/dvd? silly the suggestions at all, isn't?

IT IS a hardware fault and no software miss, like WXPH uses other drivers as WXPP and so on. My Pioneer DVR-K12DVA (CD-RW/DVD+/-RW Drive) became a Sony DW-U50A (CD-RW/DVD±RW Drive) finally last days.

Take your machine to Sony and they should change your drive, that is what I can recommend.

Good luck.