Join now - be part of our community!

AV Out not working

kantboy
Visitor

AV Out not working

I have a sony Vaio VGN-A215M. When I connect tthe AV to a TV as instructed all I get is a black flickering picture, nothing else.

The cable is AV jack (provided) to RCA connected to the AV in of my TV. The TV is set to the correct AV channel. I've done this many times since I'm a VJ so I know its set up correctly.

What could be wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

If your computer has a yellow AV output then you need a Sony VMC20FR AV Cable or equivalent. It is the same cable that is used for Sony video cameras and has 1@multipole jack at one end and 3@Phono/RCA plugs at the other (Red-right audio, White-left audio, Yellow-composite video)

If you are using the correct cable then connect the TV before powering up the computer and switch the display using the relevant hotkey.

kantboy
Visitor

If your computer has a yellow AV output then you need a Sony VMC20FR AV Cable or equivalent. It is the same cable that is used for Sony video cameras and has 1@multipole jack at one end and 3@Phono/RCA plugs at the other (Red-right audio, White-left audio, Yellow-composite video)

If you are using the correct cable then connect the TV before powering up the computer and switch the display using the relevant hotkey.

Thanks Rob, but as I say, its all connected correctly (as directed in the manual i.e. TV on first, etc.)

The one difference with your reply is that the supplied cable is a yellow multipole mini-jack to ONE yellow RCA (there are no red/white audio). Still should work though (for picture at least)

Any other suggestions?

robpaxton
Explorer

The cable you are using won't work. You need the special cable with the multipole jack. It's the type used by Sony Video Cameras.

There are differently wired cables (that look the same) that won't work.

Here's a picture:

kantboy
Visitor

The cable you are using won't work.  You need the special cable with the multipole jack.  It's the type used by Sony Video Cameras.

There are differently wired cables (that look the same) that won't work.

Here's a picture:

Cheers Rob. I'll phone and ask why I haven't been given the correct cable. Merry xmas. :smileygrin:

robpaxton
Explorer

I'm surprised you got a cable supplied . . . . My three Vaios didn't come shipped with the cable and it isn't listed as a supplied accessory in the specs. :smileythinking:

Hope you get it sorted and Merry Christmas to you as well.