Join now - be part of our community!

A215Z - Charging all the time?

MF-Racing
Visitor

A215Z - Charging all the time?

HI,

I've just got a new Vaio A215Z laptop. which i'm very happy about.

One problem, the little icon next to the clock always says that the battery is charging (When on AC), even when it's 100% full.

Is this normal. Is it overcharging my battery?

Thanks

:slight_smile:

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

It's normal, all Vaio notebooks do this. The battery is 'intelligent' and stops charging but isn't quite 'intelligent' enough to communicate the fact to Windows.

Psaila
Visitor

It's normal, all Vaio notebooks do this.  The battery is 'intelligent' and stops charging but isn't quite 'intelligent' enough to communicate the fact to Windows.

That Is So Funny Rob .......:smileyapplause:

I've just got a new Vaio A215Z laptop. which i'm very happy about.

It will take a few good long charges to accustom the battery MF-Racing . Also Welcome to Club VAIO .

feederfan
Visitor

Actually, windows isnt intelligent enough to understand what the battery is communicating...dont know why, linux manages okay!:smileygrin:

induct
Visitor

Just take note of the flashing battery LED when the battery is charging. Ignore Windows.

MF-Racing
Visitor

Thanks very much guys :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Actually, windows isnt intelligent enough to understand what the battery is communicating...dont know why, linux manages okay!:smileygrin:

Actually, the Vaio is "Designed for Windows XP" - so the battery isn't intelligent enough to communicate that charging has ceased to Windows. Every other manufacturer seems to be able to design a fully ACPI compliant charging system.

Linux normally uses APM - the older power management system which doesn't place control of the power system in the hands of the OS - it is handled mainly by the BIOS.