Join now - be part of our community!

Why does my new Bravia keep switching itself off?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
hamster60
Explorer

Why does my new Bravia keep switching itself off?

I have had a new Bravia for all of five weeks.  Its been working perfectly.  I love it.  Then tonight it just switched itsself off. I turned it on and it lasted thirty seconds before flicking itself off and then back on and then off.....

Its connected to a Sky Box but its not making any difference whether I switch it on with the remote or manually.  It just turns itself off again.

Anyone experienced this?

Thank you.

38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.GB.title
jacklx

Having trawled through other instances of this problem I suspect this to be a fairly random glitch which occurs on many models. canonuser2's input of March 2018, filming his remote control to show that it was 'firing' at random is interesting.

Since my earlier post I have not had a problem while watching a recorded programme. Today I thought I'd carry out an experiment as I am aware that the TV WILL turn itself off on a regular basis which is as follows.

With the TV turned on but with one of the external sources selected, but neither switched on, i.e. no picture, the TV switches itself off after 15 minutes. I have the eco settings both OFF. The TV switching itself off after 15 minutes seems to be an eco feature which is not mentioned in 'Settings'. Having then switched the TV back on AND the Freeview recorder showing the live broadcast the TV remained ON. Playing a recording but pausing it, after 10 minutes the time is displayed continuously, but the TV remains ON.

In my case it seems that as long as there is a 'moving picture' the TV will remain on.

This is not a lot of help to those of you who have their TV switching itself off while watching a film but I should like to mention a situation I encountered with my previous TV, a Samsung, coupled to a Bose Solo 50 sound box. I discovered that if I switched the TV off before switching off the Bose, next time I switched it all on I sometimes found the volume of the Bose had been reduced to Zero. From this I deduced that the Samsung remote control was intermittently interfering with the Bose box. I find I have various remote controls, can't help but wonder if any might be having effect on items which shouldn't be affected. These days there's a lot of RF floating around, not necessarily emanating from remote controls. Surely there's no likelihood of a neighbour locking or unlocking his car with his keyfob switching off a TV for example? Or is there?

I don't think I'm able to look through previous posts without losing all of this but does  the problem occur when watching a 'live' broadcast, a recording, or both? If only when watching 'live' then I would suggest doing what I do, record everything.

Finally (at last) does anyone have this problem coming up EVERY time they try to watch a film? Probably not. Unless one can replicate a problem while a Sony person, or the dealer, is watching you'll get little help.

profile.country.GB.title
John_Ratcliffe

I have just returned my KD55AG9BU due to it initially switching off randomly during TV and Netflix only for it to have completely crashed, being a former TV repair engineer, my best guess is that it has an over current condition causing the power supply to crow bar (keep attempting to re-start.
This is definitely a electronic fault in my case and not just a setting.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
profile.country.GB.title
Sclats
Explorer

Hi in have an Ag8 oled 55 one month old, how did we go about booking a engineer, we purchased the set from John Lewis do we go through them. Thanks in advance 

profile.country.GB.title
jacklx

I would suggest you contact John Lewis who I have always found to be helpful. customerservices@johnlewis.com

s.shaw77
Explorer

I have a XE9005, had it for just over two years.

TV intermittently shuts down for no reason what so ever. It cannot be predicted when it shuts down, i have tried monitoring it (i.e. the amount of time its on prior to shutting down from startup etc) but so far there is no pattern that i can see.

The only thing i have noticed is that it mostly shuts itself off during times where i'm watching council TV (using the TV tuner) and the odd time maybe using my xbox or PC.

Been in touch with Sony support now for well over 5 weeks going through various steps, updates, troubleshooting etc. (unplug the device and associated devices, leave it for 30 mins then reboot everything in stages), but nothing has worked.

I have tried setting my gopro up to catch it, but have failed thus far as the camera either runs out of memory or battery before the tv shuts off (typical)...

Sony insist the issue is software related which is fair enough, but they have no solution.

I asked for a refund, they declined and instead have insisted on a TV repair man to come out and inspect the TV. Cant really understand why though , unless they are Sony engineers who are experts in reading code or programming, which they are not (just local repairmen/women).

Discussed possibilities with the repair team who will be coming out immanently; they advised that it sounds like a motherboard issue of some sort.

So they both are saying differing things; which leads me to believe that i will still be trying to deal with this nonsense in 5 weeks time too as they probably will not agree between themselves what the issue actually is.

profile.country.GB.title
James35w
Explorer

Again switching after your fix....actually need update

profile.country.GB.title
Kelvincool
Explorer

Try changing the batteries in remote that solved it for me

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
jacklx

I refer you to my entry in December. I'm getting quite used to this now. It only seems to happen when there is nothing happening on the screen and takes about 15 minutes inactivity before the TV goes off. I have concluded it's an eco feature which has been installed and few people at Sony know about it. For me it's no big deal, I can live with it. It never happens when I'm watching something. However I have noticed if I have either my Freesat or Freeview PVR connected and displaying the 'Paused' screen, a moving picture, either the word HUMAX or a numeric clock skating around the screen the TV stays on.

Hopefully S.Shaw 77 might also see this

profile.country.GB.title
Sclats
Explorer

Hi all, I’ve recently installed a new update from Sony via a stick, whilst this updated the tv settings it took another reset ie. pullout sound beam and sky hook ups out of the tv and then switch off completely this indeed did the trick. No more switching itself off, fingers crossed this stays this way. Thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
AwfulSony
Explorer

My Sony Bravia AG8 keeps turning off after switch on either via Sony remote or Sky remote. The tv starts up for 30 seconds or so, the sound goes, then turns off, it restarts itself only to repeat the same pattern. Usually, if left alone it will turn on and then off 3 times, with the sound going first then the picture going, then reboots with the crazy dancing ball then the awful word 'android' as if that's something to be proud of, and then stays on. The record was last night after a software update, 8 times it did it. Is it the external connected devices causing the problem?, such as Sky box.Amazon fire stick, Apple TV or is it just the telly. Bought back in November 2019.always been an issue Have tried software updates and reboots just about to try a factory reset. Any advice please? When the lockdown is over, I'll go back to my retailer, but don't expect a lot of help there.