Join now - be part of our community!

Why does my new Bravia keep switching itself off?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
hamster60
Explorer

Why does my new Bravia keep switching itself off?

I have had a new Bravia for all of five weeks.  Its been working perfectly.  I love it.  Then tonight it just switched itsself off. I turned it on and it lasted thirty seconds before flicking itself off and then back on and then off.....

Its connected to a Sky Box but its not making any difference whether I switch it on with the remote or manually.  It just turns itself off again.

Anyone experienced this?

Thank you.

38 REPLIES 38

The TV is a Sony Bravia, KDL-52WL135

This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
www.avast.com
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
profile.country.GB.title
PAULVALON
New

My Sony Bravia model XBR65X900A keeps turning itself off.

We have just moved to an apartment so I am unsure if that has caused something to malfunction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi PAULVALON, I hope another Community member will get back to you about this soon, however as this is a thread from 2016, you might want to try getting in contact with Sony Support  in the meantime via this contact form. 

profile.country.GB.title
Michaelpaul32
New

My sony bravia television keeps turning itself off which is very annoying if it happens right in the middle of a film. It turns itself back on after about 6 seconds but it keeps doing it especially when I'm changing channels.

Same started happening to me last week.

Sony KDL-32EX403.

On one occasion it sswitched itself back on during the night, on a channel I never watch.

Thought the TV needed replacing,  then whilst fiddling with the remote control, the set started switching on and off as I was  inserting a battery. Then it started doing it every time I changed the battery. I then changed the battery with the remote in another room. As soon as I brought the remote back into the TV room- it started switching on and off again.

I reckoned the remote itself was faulty, and proved it in the end by filming the IR end of the remote on a digital camera. When the TV started switching off & on- you could see the IR LED firing randomly on  the camera LCD screen. I opened up the remote, and gave the circuitry a clean- but it had no effect.

I bought a new remote- almost identical to the Sony model. Cost £9.99 on Amazon.

Problem solved.

I have read so many "Solutions" to this problem - like software resets etc etc. None worked.

But this did...

Check your remote first!

In April of 2017 I purchased an XBR-65A1E 4K  OLED TV.  This is part of my home theatre system that includes a Marantz pre amp and amp, a Tivo 4k DVR, Apple TV 4k, and Sony blu ray 4k.  All devices are plugged in to a Panamax power conditioner.  All hdmi input switching is done through the marzntz 7704 AV pre amp and only the audio out hdmi cable is plugged into the tv.

The TV will randomly turn itself off.  I worked with Sony support team to ensure all power saving, eco, sleep timers were all off and did a factory reset.  After a couple weeks it did it again.  The set would perform correctly for a week or more then do it again.  Sony sent our a tech and replaced the mother board.  Same issue continues and then after I had the set now a total of nine months they sent me a Sony "certified" replacement set with an additional two year warranty.  Now this set is having the same issue.  It mystifys me that it will perform correctly for weeks then within a period of  a few days will again turn itself off  maybe two or three times.  Has anyone out there experienced this issue?

profile.country.GB.title
Johnsmithy69
Explorer

I may be late to the party but surely there is someone out there that will stumble across this and be happy to of found a fix. I had this problem too at first I believed it may of been caused by a rogue apk (the sort of apps not in the playstore) so I moved them all to a USB... But pointless part and not need because .. it was much simpler than this.... During the 5-10 secs my TV was on I uninstalled my vpn. . Your problem might not be a vpn specifically but my vpn was set to auto start on start up. After deleting this app the TV started up again. Edit I should of started by telling you this I've had this problem twice now the first and easiest fix to rid your TV of the app that might be causing this problem is to unplug your TV from the main power, now on the TV hold the power and volume down button at the same time... While still holding those 2 buttons plug the TV back in... This will factory reset your TV and get it back on... if you are unable to find and delete the app that may be causing the problem in the short 10 secound window you get before it turns off I would recommend the factory reset. So to sum it up I belive the problem to be an app set to auto start on start up but to be safe I would recommend buying yourself a USB stick to download certain apps onto... Then if your TV ever goes through this again and your forced to factory reset, then at least you don't have to go through the hassle of downloading all your apps, or builds again. My vpn was an official app from the playstore. I'm going to download it again without the autostart option set. And keep apks on a stick. 

profile.country.GB.title
Kelvincool
Explorer

@hamster60 wrote:

I have had a new Bravia for all of five weeks.  Its been working perfectly.  I love it.  Then tonight it just switched itsself off. I turned it on and it lasted thirty seconds before flicking itself off and then back on and then off.....

Its connected to a Sky Box but its not making any difference whether I switch it on with the remote or manually.  It just turns itself off again.

Anyone experienced this?

Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
jacklx

We were watching a Humax recording when a message came up on the screen telling us that the TV would switch off unless any button on the TV remote control was pressed. I managed to find the R-C, pressed the button and everything carried on as normal. The TV is a KD49XG7093. I've unsuccessfully looked through the settings to try and find a way of disabling this irritant. (I think I've used a split infinitive but never mind).

We have two Humaxes in order to record everything we watch and are able to skip through adverts and News programmes when there's anything about Football, Harry and Meghan, Brexit and Party Political Broadcasts so once we're switched on we have no need to touch the TV remote apart from switching from one Humax to the other.

profile.country.GB.title
John_Ratcliffe

I have the exact same fault, it developed after only five weeks, im so disappointed after spending £2.5k on what i was led to believe was the best tv in store.

i fear that this may well be a common fault in the design.  I prey that ive not wasted such a lot of money.