Join now - be part of our community!

throw feature TV options?

SOLVED
sony32inchhd
Explorer

throw feature TV options?

I'm looking to upgrade from my 32" sony that only has 720p 1080i max (iirc 2009 model but don't have the model number to hand) for a more recent model, (2014/2015 ideally).

As I have a Z2 and a Z phone to use it with, what recent models of TV support the Throw feature?

I will also hook my ps3 up to it too.

I assume 1080p is a standard sony feature these days? (I don't buy a new TV very often lol!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

For sure you can do this even with an older TV (you have to check just that it spot at least a network/wifi connection and Screen Mirroring feature if you want it).

I do not have a Z2 (but I have a Z2 Tablet and it can) so not sure 100% that it can act as a DLNA server (but since you spot the option in the menu it should...)

With Android TV (2015 televisions ending with letter C) you can do a lot more (just look at the marketing stuff here http://www.sony.net/Products/tv/androidtv/en-gb/ ), but most of the thing you seems to look for are available also on 2013/2014 TV if you find it in the market (model with final A or final B)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sony32inchhd
Explorer

Looking at the phone menu option, it looks like the throw feature is now called DNLA...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

DLNA is a different thing (streaming multimedia content from a server being it a PC, NAS or even a smartphone/tablet). Obviously it is supported even on older TVs

Since 2013 TVs lineup the throw function is supported (also known as screen mirroring - you can use the TV to display whatever you are doing on your compatible Tablet). With Sony Xperia you can configure it automaticaly by pairing the phone/tablet with the NFC remote of the TV and works very smoothly.

You have another feature available (called "Google cast"): in 2013/2014 models it is supported on few app (i.e. Youtube), in 2015 is fully supported (as it is Android itself). With casting you can run an app on your smartphone and tell the app to send the output to the TV (while you are doing something else on the smartphone itself).

Have fun with your new TV, whichever you choose to buy!

sony32inchhd
Explorer

Thank you for the explanations :slight_smile:  Things have moved on a lot since I got my last Sony TV.

I would like to have the ability to show my photos and video from my z2 to the TV, anything else is a bonus :slight_smile:

Children grow up quickly these days and for me it's important to show them to relatives when they are around :slight_smile:

I guess I need to find my budget then look at the specification of each TV, i'd be really annoyed if I end up getting a pushy salesman that sells me any Sony TV.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

For sure you can do this even with an older TV (you have to check just that it spot at least a network/wifi connection and Screen Mirroring feature if you want it).

I do not have a Z2 (but I have a Z2 Tablet and it can) so not sure 100% that it can act as a DLNA server (but since you spot the option in the menu it should...)

With Android TV (2015 televisions ending with letter C) you can do a lot more (just look at the marketing stuff here http://www.sony.net/Products/tv/androidtv/en-gb/ ), but most of the thing you seems to look for are available also on 2013/2014 TV if you find it in the market (model with final A or final B)

sony32inchhd
Explorer

The Z2 I have is on lollipop, it looks like it has throw and DLNA options :slight_smile:

my budget will be no more than about 350-400 so i'll probably be looking at a 2013-14 model. 

A smart TV would be nice, but not essential.  I will be sure to look at the suffix on the model as an indicator.

The Sony website would be nice if you could seach for specific features on a TV but hey ho :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sony32inchhd

For your budget, have a look at the 2015 W705C, the 32inch is on Amazon for £289 and £389 for the 40 inch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL-32W705C-Smart-1080p-Model/dp/B00UPCJHES/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-kdl-42w705b-review

Cheers