Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL 40HX723 - backlight bleed issues?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Puma937
Visitor

Sony KDL 40HX723 - backlight bleed issues?

I've just returned an 10 week old EX723 that had a banding issue and managed to upgrade to the HX723 at no extra cost. John Lewis have been fantastic about the whole issue.

BUT after having the HX for only 5 days.......the backlight bleed is twice as bad on the HX, although no banding is visible. The production date of the TV is 11/2011 and I have updated the firmware.

When adjusting the settings I didn't notice any backlight bleed, but I decided to sample the online 3D content to compare performance against the EX. The improvement was great, but wearing the 3D glasses the bleed was really noticeable.

Off centre it really is quite bad on a black background - with corner and centre 'torchlights'.

I've tried tinkering with the settings as I've read that people who have it try to reduce the effect by lowering backlight level, but to me it's a fault that limits usability of backlight function and far as I know is not meant to be used as a screen fault corrector. Image shown below........

Should I return the set for a replacment OR is this somehing that SONY and most users accept as a trait of edge lit LED/LCD?

On a side note, what has happened to Sony's Quality Control - backlight bleed, banding issues, poor 3D, PSN hacking .........have they dropped the ball again? Get your act together Sony, before you lose another loyal customer.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/Puma937/CIMG1019.jpg

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Well, that is exactly the same problem that you can see in the HX923 range for good TV’s. That sort of uniformity issues are present in the Flagship TV with the huge difference that one will pay much more for having the same "feature". That TV is clearly within specifications, Sony Support will tell you that. If you are really lucky then you will also get DSE, X-talk, average 3D and a faulty panel. What is worse is that Sony is expecting people to pay 4500 pounds for one of these "gems" and be happy with it. This flagship is the biggest rip off ever. I do not think that there is a single line that is acceptable. NX, HX, EX all of them are plague with the most incredible faults. Any competitor is producing similar or better TV’s for far less price.