Join now - be part of our community!

SONY BRAVIA XR65A90JU 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV with Google TV & Assistant - Disappointed

profile.country.GB.title
MickDav
Explorer

SONY BRAVIA XR65A90JU 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV with Google TV & Assistant - Disappointed

Having bought this TV to replace my Panasonic 55" due to my wife's bad eye sight, we thought a change of brand would be good having heard SONY was a great brand. We are both around 60 years old, but tech savvy

Positive - lovely visual and colourful screen

Negative - On my OLD Panasonic I was able use my Apple iPods (I have hearing difficulties) and use at a higher volume so that my wife could listen to the TV speakers at a lower volume at the same time.

I am totally devastated the my new TV does NOT have this basic functionality that my OLD PAPANASON has, and is MANY years old, UNBELIEVABLE. (will a future software update cure this)? Or do I delegate the TV to a bedroom and buy a Panasonic?

Also, we have another bug, frequently whilst watching a film the TV we get a pop up "Idle TV power off - TV will soon turn off, press a button to keep it on" ????

This has us scrambling around for the remote, I can find no settings to disable this.

I am also disappointed with the limitation of use of the remote with my Virgin Cable box, I am used to being able to still use the sound control on my Virgin box to controls the TV sound.

Google assist, not keen, limited integration with my Amazon Echo.

I also bought a SONY HT-S40R 5.1 Sound Bar, I no longer use due to the limitations of control and no access to manually turn of the BASE - The TV sound is excellent, better than the soundbar

Summary

Overall if the sound control to use my iPODS as well as TV speakers worked and the power bug fixed I would be extremely happy.

I also bought a SONY HT-S40R 5.1 Sound Bar, I no longer use due to the limitations of control and no access to manually turn of the BASE - The TV sound is excellent

Summary

Overall if the sound control to use my iPODS as well as TV speakers worked and the power bug fixed I would be extremely happy.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
MickDav
Explorer

"Hey MickDav, I'm not sure why didn't you check with Sony before purchasing that the TV supports the functions that you want" because it was a basic function on my other brand TV that was about 10 years old,  assumed that ALL new TV's would have it as default.

I have used this guide:

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iaep1/v1/en/08-05_09.html?hl=headphones 

and it works :slight_smile:, Thanks, this is a great step forwards, however the the quality of the TV in built sound is far more superior than the new external SONY HT-S40R 5.1 Sound Bar I bought.

If it only needs a a software update to dual TV sound & Bluetooth, can this be logged as a development request? is there a future roadmap of updates?

Thanks for all your support, if I can get the dual TV sound & Bluetooth working then I would be an extremely happy customer of SONY and my TV

profile.country.GB.title
MickDav
Explorer

Can anyone advise if it is possible to connect a Bluetooth transmitter to the (Arc) HDMI port and be able to connect my Bluetooth headphones at the same time as TV speakers?

If so, can you recommend a low latency make/model please?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MickDav 

Not ARC HDMI, no.

But via the Optical Out, yes,

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…