Join now - be part of our community!

Linux....grrrr

Sarcysod
New

Linux....grrrr

Hello, I hope you're all well. I recently received a Sony Bravia TV KD-43X7052, that runs Linux. Because of this I can't download anything directly, I have to go through a third party (ie Now TV). Is there anyway around this and why did Sony think this was a good idea rather than using Android?!? Cheers.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Sarcysod 

There are two short answers to this; on sets before 2021, like this 2020 set of yours, Linux allowed Sony to hit a lower price point than Android did (but please don’t ask me how); and from 2021 on, sets are Google TV or Android exclusively, as far as I can see, even the 32” one.

But I am intrigued by your ‘received’ - this wasn’t a TV you purchased? Somebody gave it to you, and you are looking this gift horse in the mouth, because it has Linux teeth, not Android ones? (See price point, above, for a possible explanation of this).

And no, you can’t add apps outside the limited range that Sony provided with their Linux TVs; and a Roku, Amazon or NowTV Stick, such as you are already using, is the ideal way to give these Linux TVs more smarts than Sony did.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Sarcysod, an external device is the only option. This TV doesn't even support mirroring or casting.