Join now - be part of our community!

KDL40NX803 problems trying to set up the "Optical Out" socket

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

KDL40NX803 problems trying to set up the "Optical Out" socket

As an old git, and getting even older, my ears have never been particularly enamoured of the sound equipment on this set.

What was once marginally OK, is now so poor that I spend more time reading the subtitles than watching the picture. I think both the set and my ears are probably equally to blame!

I have attempted to improve matters by investing in a Soundbar which will at least fire the sound forward rather than downwards!  

Attempting to set up the Optical link, I eventually managed to plug the dratted cable into the fiddly socket in the recessed chamber at the rear of the set and tried to coax some noise from the Soundbar!

"Set up" tells me that I can only use the Optical connection when the speakers are set to "Audio System".

following that advice, I achieve total silence from both TV and Soundbar!

Can someone tell me how to activate the Soundbar using the "Toslink" cable I have purchased especially since the other options for connection involve RCA plugs or Jack Plugs which protrude horribly from the side of the TV!   

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@theracles 

Provided you are dead set on leaving the Sony fold (or else etiquette would demand I picked you the least worst Sony), I think this is practically a no-brainer:-

IMG_1297.jpeg

Soundbar and sub thrown in too, and it might even have a graphic equaliser!

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
theracles

@royabrown2 Lol you'd better delete that add for the opposition or your account will likely evaporate!🤣

Thanks for the recommendation but I think I'll need to cogitate for more than a week before jumping ship!

As the various attributes of the KDL40NX803 have faded into obscurity due to lack of maintenance, I bought a cheap Android box to supplant them, mainly in order to once more have large screen access to YT but with the benefit of Chrome browser, really good value for occasional use.

Black Friday 2022 I was tempted by a Firestick, but never installed it.

Maybe now is the time!

At least, that will give me the option to use BT headphones when the TV sound becomes "muddy" whilst I attempt to educate myself on what is available in the market!

Somehow, I have managed to reach a rather odd impasse sound wise; the general audio accompanying programmes is almost satisfactory to my ears, but at the same time the background music and advertisements for some reason are louder!

Perhaps this is intentional; copying the Oppenheimer effect!

Don't know about you, but years ago when my hearing was a little better, and I generally didn't use subtitles,  one of my favourite programmes was "X-files".

"Scully and Mulder" as I called them seemed to be studying to become ventriloquists!

I fear they were quite advanced in the art as it was almost impossible to detect any movement of their facial muscles!

This and the generally morose and broody atmospherics were what eventually killed my desire to watch. 🙄

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Just an aside!

this evening I received this:-

Unhelpful Sony email.JPG

Seeing that it emanated from "other than a No Reply address", I replied and was rebuffed, quelle surprise!

Just thought I'd share the reply with you guys.😊

Rebuffed reply.JPG

Thanks again everyone for your attempts to sort the problem.