Join now - be part of our community!

iMac and wireless connectivity

profile.country.en_GB.title
bravomar
Visitor

iMac and wireless connectivity

Bravia TV - why doesn't the iMac show up on the network in the same way the windows computer does, and what is the point/use of this Serviio I read about - and don't understand? I am connecting over a wireless network.

3 REPLIES 3
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Simply computers and TVs operate in very different ways. Serviio effectively bridges some of that gap and makes certain media directories and files on your computer, visible on your tv. So install it on your mac, tell it what files you want to share and it will do the rest assuming your network is functioning normally.

Thanks

Lamby1984
Visitor

Hello,

Apple Electronic Inc is not signed up to the DLNA complience standard. DLNA is a digital network standard designed to make connecting network attatched devices together. Apple is one of the only big consumer electronics manufacturers who do not conform to this standard out of the box.

Fortunately with the aid of a simple software download you can turn your iMac into a DLNA server, which will then appear on your network alongside your Windows PC.

For best results i suggest purchasing a decent DLNA server client for MAC based computers online.

They're also free alternatives you can download &C

• Cyber Media Gate
  • Media Tomb
  • PS3 Media Server
  • TwonkyMedia
  • Wild Media Server
  • Allegro Media Server
  • MiniDLNA
  • Rhapsody
  • PS3 Media Server

Regards

bravomar
Visitor

Thank you to both people who responded to this query. I have downloaded Serviio and it now shows up on the Bravia TV as accessible; which is a start. However, inept as I am, I haven't managed to actually do anything with it yet - which I am sure is my fault - but still, I'm havinbg trouble actually using it!