Join now - be part of our community!

Can the Bravia KDL-32EX403 play DIVX

profile.country.en_GB.title
flatline
Visitor

Can the Bravia KDL-32EX403 play DIVX

Hi,

I purchased a KDL-32EX403 today and it is running the current version of firmware.

I purchased it because it is DIVX certified and I want it to play my DivX movie, I use the DivX converter to create all my DivX media I have been playing this from a NAS to my PC, PS3 and Galaxy Tab and these work great.

I have placed one of these Divx movies on to a USB stick and have tried it in the Bravia, but it reports as "Playback not available"

I have also set up the ethernet connection and have a number of media servers including Twonky, Windows 7,XP and also a Netgear NAS which holds all my DivX media - none of the .divx files are displayed on the Bravia although the directories are displayed and can be opened.

Am I missing something here ? I thought this could play DivX media files.

I'm using the DivX Plus Converter this has standard encoding options

Plus HD which uses H.264

HD 1080p

HD 720p

Home Theater

Mobile

The only option which seems to work is mobile, I think it is the audio codec which is different in the mobile option and this is why its ok. I'm no expert but I'm going to see if there is a config file i can change to blend the video and audio codec so it can play the media at a higher resolution.

Message was edited by: flatline

I have used Windows 7 and media player to stream my movie media files to the Bravia, I have to remove media player and media centre components in the uninstall windows features an reinstall them becuase it was not allowing me to activate streaming.

Although this is working my PC uses around 300W/hr and is not a very economical media hub, also the transcoding of the DIVX files is poor quality and is very grainy on the TV.

I have taken my DIVX test files created with the DIVX encoder and put them on a DVD to test with my Philip HTS6515/05 which I have had for a couple of years and is DIVX compatible. All the various compression sizes work and play on this device, the only file which won't work is the DIVX VOD test file, this is because the Philips is not DivX Certified.

So, the issue here appears to be that Sony don't want you to play your DivX media on the Bravia,so they have made it DivX VOD compatible, but not DivX . They want you to subscribe to one of the many sponsoring companies that supply DivX VOD media, which is a shame, if this is correct and money has changed hands it's unlikely that this feature will be coming in any upcoming  updates.

I will be putting the files on to a USB stick and going to my local sony retailer to see if it is my TV that is at fault, but I don't feel it is.

Same problem in store, I did also try the same files on a samsung TV at 720p resolution and they worked fine.

I have managed to find some DivX software which gives a good quality picture through the USB  the application is called DIVX Author.

There are problems with this application with Windows 7 64bitI think it is due to Hyperthreading. If the app crashes goto Task Manager select the DIVX Author Process and select CPU0 only in the set affinity tab.Other processors can be selected in even order e.g 0 2 4 6

The file output is 640 x 480 stereo 48Khz which the Sony is happy with, this is of acceptable quality although the samsung TV offers better divx resolution.

It looks like network access to .divx is restricted there may be a work around.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.hr_HR.title
DamacizSi
Visitor

Hello,

Divx movies via USB stick.

Divx has to have extension .avi best way, or .divx for some models EX like Your....see compatible format tabel in attachment and look Home Theatre 3.0 version for Divx, allso in tabel, You can get it free on net.

Should not be longer than 3 hours.

Sony like FAT 32.

Subtitles will show if thay are united in movie fail. Model under 500 will not show subtitles otherweis.

Regards

Damac

:slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
flatline
Visitor

I have been waiting for a firmware upgrade which would allow the DIX movies to play, no such luck and I feel a little disappointed that Sony is so slow at getting up to speed with allowing these formats to play on this TV.

The format I'm trying to use is Home Theater from the DIVX certified software this format works on every DIVX device I have except the Sony, (Samsung Galaxy Tab, Sony PS3, XBOX 360, Philips HTS6515, LG BD550, PC). Sony have lost massive market share to other manufactures like LG, Samsung, Philips and others recently and you can see from the large price drops of their tv's that it has been hard for them, if they choose, which is what they are doing to limit the multimedia USB play back on this TV, which clearly states on the box DIVX certified, they are going to drive customers like me who are looking for multimedia functionality away.

Sony still have this egotistical belief that they are still top of the pile, but this is not the case they need to get their heads out of their ass, and get with the program, and start giving customer what they want, everyone else is.

profile.country.es_ES.title
JULIANA
Visitor

Same, same with pictures.

Sony must give right answer with  "SMART TV".

Why I can`t reproduce Photos in high, or even good quality in jpg files??.

Why I must to resign with medium quality if I've bought a Full HD SMART TV?

Why SONY not resolve this very poor performance?

How many hours must SONY customers must loose to finally discover that SONY limitations?.

Very dissapointed.