Join now - be part of our community!

Dark bands on Sony Bravia KDL-40WE663

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Crowthorne
Explorer

Dark bands on Sony Bravia KDL-40WE663

Dark bands have started to appear on the screen, not always that noticeable but sometimes quite intrusive. They are most visible on a light background. They occur whether the display is from Amazon Fire TV stick, DVD or natively from the TV itself. For some reason they are not as visible when I take a photo as they are with the naked eye (presumably something to do with using a digital camera on a moving image) but this photo gives the idea:

20221204_135509.jpg

The vertical bands are most visible in the right half of the screen. The TV is only 5 years old but is out of warranty. 
Is this fixable (in a cost-effective way) or does it look like it's time for a new TV?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Crowthorne
Explorer

Hi Elodin, yes looks like it needs to be looked at to be fixed. However, I doubt that'll be cost effective so I'll go down the new TV route.

Thanks for the replies.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Crowthorne, first of all, make sure that your TV is up to date. Then try to reset it from the mains while unplugging all external devices and check again. If you're still getting these lines, try a factory data reset, it might help (settings - customer support - factory  settings - factory data reset)

Hope it works! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Crowthorne
Explorer

Hi Piscie,

Thank you fro the reply, but I have already tried those things (and one or two others) but the problem's still there. I'm hoping for some bargains in the New Year sales 😊

profile.country.GB.title
Elodin

Hey @Crowthorne I believe at this point, you should have your TV inspected by an engineer here. Check the Sony website, they are offering some promotions on their TVs.

profile.country.GB.title
Crowthorne
Explorer

Hi Elodin, yes looks like it needs to be looked at to be fixed. However, I doubt that'll be cost effective so I'll go down the new TV route.

Thanks for the replies.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Crowthorne, I hate to be the bearer of the bad news, but screen faults aren't repairable. But if I may, I recommend the master series: https://bit.ly/3Wzda7I.