Join now - be part of our community!

Broke my Bravia W815B in a fit of rage! I've had it!

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Manu_T

Broke my Bravia W815B in a fit of rage! I've had it!

Hi fellow Sonians,

This will probably my last post on this forum. Not that I was very active to begin with.

Anyway, I've had it with Sony. And I've had it with this piece of junk! The Bravia W815B

First the sony pages wanted to "combine" my accounts. Oddly enough I seem to have to 2 logins which I do NOT want nor wasn't aware of. Not to mention that if you press "NO" the goddamn thing keeps going in circles!

And then there's the TV itself. Over the years the associated app for this smart TV became "dumb". And the TV itself also got it's share of Alzheimer. The program guide had more empty spaces during the last year than a blank notepad at a bookstore. The additional program info showed mostly nothing. Trying to add the program-names to get the program guides more or less working was like playing darts blindfolded. Time shifting never worked properly. There was ALWAYS the gamble that whenever you fast forwarded a bit that you'd loose the entire time-shift. When stopping a Netflix show/movie halfway and wanting to continue the goddamn POS rebooted EVERY time. The last few times even going back to a previous episode (or other movie) and coming back didn't even help either. And no, unplugging the PSU didn't help. I really hated this TV. I bought it for it's 3D, smart functions and netflix. Only 3D worked fine.

And now  merely 5 years later I can't even find a TV with 3D anymore. I can throw ALL my 3D movies in the bin! Sure THAT is not Sony's fault. But nonetheless, thank you TV industry for ***** things up!

Last night after way too many attempts to continue viewing  a netflix episode that I stopped halfway.  When this POS rebooted EVERY goddamn time. I suddenly lost it! I threw the remote into the TV. With the obvious consequence that the panel got severely damaged! I just couldn't cope with it anymore! I cannot describe my disgust for this piece of crap! Sure sometimes support tried to help, particularly with my time-shift problem. But it got NEVER solved. Time-shift on this TV is like playing Russian roulette but with one empty space in the gun instead of one bullet in the gun. And last night... was the last straw!

So I bid you fellow Sonians farewell. This was my first Sony Smart TV and it will be my last!

Never a Sony again!

Bye

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Manu_T

So far my new TV is indeed better.

Timeshift (finally) works as advertised.

Netflix works perfectly, no resets at the search-page and no resets when a movie or show is stopped halfway and picked up later on. Despite that the netflix-app looks exactly the same on this set as in the old Sony. This thing is much faster and more responsive. The only 2 things that I miss are the lack of 3D and that multi-coloured notification/power-LED. Especially now with these 4K TV's we could have fantastic fullHD 3D even in SBS. The led was very interesting because you could see when the TV was recording or when a recording event was planned etc... My current TV has no LED at all (actually it has a small red-power-LED that's barely visible). 

Obviously it has more TV services like Amazon Video, Apple TV and Disney+. I even discovered a full blown Remote Desktop-client inside this TV. That is awesome. Other things that work much faster with this TV are mirrarcast/screenmirroring and DLNA-access. The inbuilt webbrowser is more capable of. The TV had no problem detecting my external 250GB SSD for TV recordings and timeshift. Unfortunately it couldn't play the old (Sony) recordings so I basically had to re-format it. Alas. Funny thing though, I can even control the volume of my ancient surround system (Sony STR-DG520) with the TV remote despite the fact that it's connected via the optical cable. I didn't even knew this was possible. The Bravia remote certainly couldn't do this.

The best part is that this new TV cost almost 30% less but has a way bigger screen (my Sony was 42" FHD this one is 55" UHD). Which is of course less good for most of my lousy quality media content that I have. 😉 You see, I still have lots of DVD's instead of BluRay's. But picture quality is definitely on par with the Sony perhaps even better. I only remember that the Sony was a little bit brighter but it could just be my imagination. So far I found less light bleeding than with the Sony (perhaps due to less brightness).

There only was one snag in setting the new TV up. Where it couldn't load it's T&C from the internet and it wouldn't continue. But after I solved this, everything went fine.

So for now. The new TV is a vast improvement over the old one.

For the technically inclined. I bought this TV: Samsung UE55TU8502

Bye

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Hugo_Fonseca

Wow. I hope your new TV is better mate. That sounded horrible. X

profile.country.GB.title
Manu_T

So far my new TV is indeed better.

Timeshift (finally) works as advertised.

Netflix works perfectly, no resets at the search-page and no resets when a movie or show is stopped halfway and picked up later on. Despite that the netflix-app looks exactly the same on this set as in the old Sony. This thing is much faster and more responsive. The only 2 things that I miss are the lack of 3D and that multi-coloured notification/power-LED. Especially now with these 4K TV's we could have fantastic fullHD 3D even in SBS. The led was very interesting because you could see when the TV was recording or when a recording event was planned etc... My current TV has no LED at all (actually it has a small red-power-LED that's barely visible). 

Obviously it has more TV services like Amazon Video, Apple TV and Disney+. I even discovered a full blown Remote Desktop-client inside this TV. That is awesome. Other things that work much faster with this TV are mirrarcast/screenmirroring and DLNA-access. The inbuilt webbrowser is more capable of. The TV had no problem detecting my external 250GB SSD for TV recordings and timeshift. Unfortunately it couldn't play the old (Sony) recordings so I basically had to re-format it. Alas. Funny thing though, I can even control the volume of my ancient surround system (Sony STR-DG520) with the TV remote despite the fact that it's connected via the optical cable. I didn't even knew this was possible. The Bravia remote certainly couldn't do this.

The best part is that this new TV cost almost 30% less but has a way bigger screen (my Sony was 42" FHD this one is 55" UHD). Which is of course less good for most of my lousy quality media content that I have. 😉 You see, I still have lots of DVD's instead of BluRay's. But picture quality is definitely on par with the Sony perhaps even better. I only remember that the Sony was a little bit brighter but it could just be my imagination. So far I found less light bleeding than with the Sony (perhaps due to less brightness).

There only was one snag in setting the new TV up. Where it couldn't load it's T&C from the internet and it wouldn't continue. But after I solved this, everything went fine.

So for now. The new TV is a vast improvement over the old one.

For the technically inclined. I bought this TV: Samsung UE55TU8502

Bye