Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia TV, BBC iPlayer and "Internet download failed..."

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

Bravia TV, BBC iPlayer and "Internet download failed..."

I have read a previous thread regarding the issue of "Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory limit".  It appears to remain unresolved, however.  It occurred first yesterday for me.  I had no previous experience of the problem.  I could not put a finger on it, either: first, a one-hour programme would not play, while a half-hour programme seemed OK.  I went to a one-hour programme from last Saturday that my wife had watched and that was OK.  Returning to it later, the message appeared.  I assume repeated playing, or attempts to play, do not accumulate to cause a memory problem.

I have a problem with my Sony DVD recorder, too, regarding "D---" that has occurred recently, too, about which I shall create another post.

My TV is Sony KDL-32W705BBU, purchased in 2014 and my DVD recorder is Sony RDR-HXD870, purchased in 2007. 

Tags (2)
36 REPLIES 36
profile.country.GB.title
POFFOP
Explorer

Surely, between the BBC and Sony they could sort out the problem that didn't exist before. After all these TVs are meant to be Smart! Much less smart with no iPlayer!

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian_here

Here is the link to the relevant BBC iplayer page where they discuss progress with fixing the fault

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/troubleshooting/tv-games-consoles/sony-memory-limit

profile.country.GB.title
Mouthful
Explorer

Use your laptop to start the programme.   Then bizarrely your tv will offer ''continue watching.''

profile.country.GB.title
peterg136
Explorer

I've used this before for Youtube, but didn't think if the Iplayer. Cheer for that.

profile.country.GB.title
ra81clarke
New

Mine plays if you knock the picture quality down to SD in settings in iPlayer. Makes it almost unwatchable but hey ho.  

Worth saying iPlayer is a truly terrible piece of software. No problems with Netflix or Amazon Prime - ever. 

lorr1e1
Explorer

I'm getting this problem it's may 2019 I've not seen this before. The link above is no longer on iplayer site? 

Help

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian_here

After reporting the fault, for no real reason everything worked fine, however we now have the same fault again !
profile.country.GB.title
peterg136
Explorer

Hi, yeah, the apps on the bravia range seem pretty terrible and Sony are as helpful as square wheels - you bought it, your problem

Hi, Yes I too have experienced the same issue in the last week. It did happen a few weeks ago but seemed to fix itself but this week I am unable to download any programmes without getting the error message and what really frustrating is when it occurs it dumps me out of iplayer all together so you then have to re-load iplayer and try the programme again to no avail as the error message appears again and dumps you out. I watched the first programme in the series earth from space last Friday and it worked fine but when I tried the second programme on Saturday I got this issue despite trying 15 times to load it before giving up. I even tried to load programme 1 that worked fine on Friday but that wouldn't load either. Please can Sony/BBC get together to solve this issue as it is clearly something that has changed recently to cause this issue that was not there before.

profile.country.GB.title
peterg136
Explorer

think the problem is Sony and their lack of actual support for their tech I use iPlayer un a Samsung and my laptop - no problems. when i replace this set it will not be a Bravia. Few think of these problems but we should when the tech is supposed to be "smart" the Bravia apps a largely junk