Join now - be part of our community!

Top 3 Tech purchases ever (all manufacturers)...

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Top 3 Tech purchases ever (all manufacturers)...

Was musing today what the top bits of kit I've ever bought were. Tough shout as they change regularly as new tech comes out but presently I think:

1. Synology DS413 NAS - http://www.trustedreviews.com/synology-diskstation-ds414_Peripheral_review I know I go on about these in some of my posts, but having tried a tonne of these type of devices, these are far and away the best ones I've owned. I think I've had 3 having upgraded a few times. Even their support is first class, actually able to login remotely to the device and fix it remotely.
  2. Kef LS50 speakers - http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/flagship_hi-fi_series/LS50/overview/ Look brilliant, sound brilliant. Not many other bookshelf speakers that are such good allrounders. They are probably wasted on my appalling musical taste however :thumbsup:
  3. Sony XEL 1 - http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-28-11-oled/XEL-1 Oldie but a goodie, design wise its still stunning and to date the only consumer OLED Sony released. Having added a netbox to it recently so it can get IP services has given it a new lease of life.

Anyone else??

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have some personal favourites, and have separated my answer into two parts (current and yester-year).  I found that the yester-year part the hardest, its very hard to choose because there have been so much that I believe were brilliant and have very fond memories of.  Without further ado...

Current:

1. Mede8er (MED1000X3D) - This is a network media player with very few flaws and is simply brilliant.  This is my number one top purchase for current era.  This product is being continually developed, making it even better than the last firmware update.
  2. Sony AV Reciever (STR-DH820) - My first AV Receiver and love it.  Excellent product quality and features and with affordability in mind. 
  3. Harmon Kardon Speakers 5.1 + 2.0 (HKTS-16BQ + HKS-4BQ) - These two speaker sets combined for 7.1 have a lovely design, sounds brilliant and compliments the AV Receiver perfectly.

Yester-Year

1. Commodore 64 - My number 1 tech product of all time, with loads of happy childhood memories and games games games.  I had both a tape deck and disk drive for this, and then added a hardware mod fast-loader later on.
  2. Sony Discman (D-141) - After a walkman, this discman was everything that I wanted.  It was dropped, banged around and bashed, and never stopped working (like the Energiser Bunny - Keeps on going)
  3. Microsoft Natural Keyboard (bendy one) - Having developed RSI in my fingers in my teens, purchased this keyboard, 2 weeks of use and it comes naturally.  RSI cleared up within a short period of time.

Note: A special mention to the Roberts Stream 83i - Its a great product, but unfortunately due to my 'then' lack of knowledge, couldn't do what I purchased it for and that was to listen to other football games streamed over the internet, as well as listening to the Australian Cricket.  Its unfortunate that money and greed gets in the way of this, and the BBC (and ABC in Aust) cuts of its internet streaming broadcasts when sporting events are playing.  I have now resorted to other means.