Join now - be part of our community!

LCD and Output Screen glitching when AV lead connected (CCD TRV208E)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Noscere
Explorer

LCD and Output Screen glitching when AV lead connected (CCD TRV208E)

Title keeps saying Gin? It should be

LCD and AV Output Screen glitching when AV lead connected (CCD TRV208E)

Okay, I thought this rainbow ribbon scrolling up and down the screen was due to either dirty head or old deteriorated tape.

But having made a recording today and watched it crystal clear on the LCD screen, I was dismayed to see the exact same ribbon-stripey glitch scrolling up the.screen when I plugged the AV lead into my AV capture USB stick.

20231023_225537.jpg

 Here is the glitch as it appears on the PC in the VHS->Digi software window (I've protected the faces of my children, it's this rainbowy stripey funk thats bothering me and thats clear in this image. It slides up and/or downwards.

I've discovered that this artefact, glitch, interference, ribbon, whatever you wanna call it only occurs when I've got the AV lead connected! When I pull the cable out of the camera, it appears again. Is it maybe something to do with PAL output and scan rates?

When the lead is connected, it appears on the LCD screen AND PC at same Time in same place, and if I pull the lead out during playback, the LCD screen image immediately goes back to being crystal clear.

Heres more examples of the glitch, photos of it happening on the LCD screen.

20231023_213644.jpg

20231023_213614.jpg

20231023_213621.jpg

I'm using the AV jack plug, which looks like a 2.5mm headphone-style jack on one end and a yellow (video) & black (audio) male phono style connecfor on the other end. FYI The CCD-TRV208E outputs the AV signal in mono, so there is only one audio channel.

The USB stick had four female connectors. A Composite S-Video plug, and three phono, yellow (video), red & white (audio L/R). I've assumed white is mono, since the Jack lead colour is black not red. And sound works... should this be in the red?

I plugged the yellow -> yellow on my Capture USB, and the black->white. This leaves the red audio and composite connectors empty.

Whatever J play appears on the LCD display (if the display window is open), and computer screen simultaneously (or TV - I haven't tested hooking the AV lead back to the TV since getting this camera out of storage for the funeral - that'll let me eliminate the capture card as the problem causer!)

•  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Noscere
Explorer

I've solved my problem! I tried connecting S-video cable, but got the same (maybe even worse?) interference on the LCD and output monitor. Even with the RCA unplugged (no audio) the static persisted. I obtained a new 3.5mm TRS to RCA 2-channel cable, as per the Sony spec (pin 1/tip is sound, mono & pin 2/ring is video whilst tip 3/sleeve is ground). This produced the same result as the previous AV TRRS cable.

At a loss, I thought, this has to be a bad ground! What's the difference between my camcorder and the TV/PC? Well, both my PC and TV have been plugged into the wall, whilst the camcorder is plugged into...an extension lead! I wonder, if that lead is badly earthed, and it *IS* a cheapo 4-way socket, then there's no common ground between them!

I pulled out the camcorder mains power lead, allowing the camcorder to run on battery only. Voila! A crystal clear display... Lesson here? Don't be quick to blame the tools! The Amazon reviewer blamed the capture card itself—although closer to the source, I was still wrong in blaming the camera.😂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Noscere
Explorer

I've solved my problem! I tried connecting S-video cable, but got the same (maybe even worse?) interference on the LCD and output monitor. Even with the RCA unplugged (no audio) the static persisted. I obtained a new 3.5mm TRS to RCA 2-channel cable, as per the Sony spec (pin 1/tip is sound, mono & pin 2/ring is video whilst tip 3/sleeve is ground). This produced the same result as the previous AV TRRS cable.

At a loss, I thought, this has to be a bad ground! What's the difference between my camcorder and the TV/PC? Well, both my PC and TV have been plugged into the wall, whilst the camcorder is plugged into...an extension lead! I wonder, if that lead is badly earthed, and it *IS* a cheapo 4-way socket, then there's no common ground between them!

I pulled out the camcorder mains power lead, allowing the camcorder to run on battery only. Voila! A crystal clear display... Lesson here? Don't be quick to blame the tools! The Amazon reviewer blamed the capture card itself—although closer to the source, I was still wrong in blaming the camera.😂

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Noscere, glad to hear that :grin: thank you for updating the thread too! 

In the future, you can also contact Sony if you have any enquiries: https://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/Contact/Email?cat=mobile&tab=Tips