Join now - be part of our community!

Can't connect my ILCE-6500 to PC Remote. "Check the connected device" appears on camera screen

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
UNIVFANCLUB
Explorer

Can't connect my ILCE-6500 to PC Remote. "Check the connected device" appears on camera screen

So basically I built a new PC and everything is working perfectly but when I installed Imaging Desktop and tried to use Remote to use my Sony A-6500 as a webcam the computer says there is no camera connected and the camera shows the message "Check the connected device" without saying anything else.

On my old PC (I'm talking about 5 days ago) I had exactly the same set up and never gave me a problem.

Can someone help me? Ive tried:

- Removing the battery for 30 seconds.

- Trying other usb ports.

- Reinstalling Sony's Imaging.

- Using other cables

- Stopping services like OneDrive.

- Checking if my firmware is up to date (it is).

I can use it as a mass storage device but it won't work with PC Remote. I attach a screenshot of what I see when I open Device Manager on Windows 10. How can I find those drivers for the camera? I'm looking for them everywhere but cant find them.

UNIVFANCLUB_0-1617061059680.png

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
UNIVFANCLUB
Explorer

Hello Darkframe,

First of all, thank you for the amazing effort you're doing to help me. If you ever come to Barcelona I owe you a coffee.

Firstly, the camera firmware it's correctly updated to 1.06 version.

I did everything and it's still not working even though I could spot some differences between what it appears to you and what it appears to me.

When I look for the camera when it's connected in the Device Manager it doesn't show as "Portable Devices". It shows as "Other devices" with an exclamation mark because it says there are no drivers installed. When I try to install them it tells me there are none available for it. This has to be the problem but since it's not downloading them automatically and Sony doesn't offer any kind of drivers for windows I'm stuck here. I attached a screenshot where you can see that.

UNIVFANCLUB_0-1618143502427.png

And the second difference I noticed between what you showed me and me is that from the .dll and .sys files that show up in your Treiberdateien window, there are some of them that I didnt have and I had to look for them manually on Google.

Any ideas about how could I manually find those drivers that are not automatically downloading?

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

One more.

What about changing USB ports.

profile.country.GB.title
UNIVFANCLUB
Explorer

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion. Just tried all the ports again (even a USB-C one that I have on my pc using an adaptor) and the same "Check the connected device" message shows up in the camera and nothing else happens.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

OK, left or right, there must be something we all are missing here.

It connects in most cases everywhere around the globe.

It did connect on your former system.

It should connect on your new system.

Did someone already suggest a factory reset of your camera?

A complete reboot is often a solution. Even Perez used it when his Red bull resisted.

profile.country.GB.title
UNIVFANCLUB
Explorer

I tried that!

I tried it now again (even with a factory reset is it normal that the version that shows up is the latest 1.06?) but it won't make any difference. The camera shows up the "Check the connected device" message and nothing else happens. I'm pretty sure I just need to manually download and install the drivers for Windows 10 so it can work as a camera and now just a mass storage device. The million-dollar question is, how?

Thanks again for your suggestion, Strampke

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Let's go further to pursuit the cause of this mishap.

Did you try to connect to a friends' computer.

If it connects to that one (without tinkering with drivers or so) and it connects to you former one you'll have to have a serious talk with your new computer.

profile.country.GB.title
UNIVFANCLUB
Explorer

I also have a Macbook and I installed Imaging Edge and it connects automatically like it used to do on my old PC!

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Next step: another W10 PC, because you shouldn't compare Windows and IOS.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @UNIVFANCLUB,

I'm back 😉

@UNIVFANCLUB  wrote:

If you ever come to Barcelona I owe you a coffee.

Appreciated! Five years ago I was to that great city and planned to go again at the latest once La Sagrada Família is finished. Oops, 2026 (as planned) doesn't seem to work. Maybe 2027, just on time for my 70th...

Okay, back to your problem. When doing some research I found that in case your Windows 10 version is an "N" version (Windows 10 N and/or Windows 10 KN) you'd need this additional software package from Microsoft. It won't work with the "normal" Win 10 versions.

Okay, two more ideas:

#1: Did you ever try to delete the entry of the camera from the device manager? If not yet done so please make a right click onto the existing entry (the one with the exclamation mark) and chose "Uninstall" or "Remove" or whatever option you've got (I've got a German Windows version so can only guess the English wording). In the dialogue chose the option to remove all drivers (if the option is available). Then restart the PC and try to connect your camera again.

#2: In case it's not working still you might have a look here. That's a Microsoft help text about fixing problems with MTP drivers.

Okay, that's all what I can think of for the time being. Hope that we're getting further with this.

Cheers

darkframe 

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi again @UNIVFANCLUB,

@UNIVFANCLUB  wrote:

(even with a factory reset is it normal that the version that shows up is the latest 1.06?) 

yes, that's absolutely correct. After a firmware update the old firmware is completely gone. That's as if you've bought a new camera which has got version 1.06 installed anyhow.

Cheers

darkframe 

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)