Join now - be part of our community!

A7M3 shutter issues class action lawsuit

profile.country.IE.title
Damien1981
Explorer

A7M3 shutter issues class action lawsuit

Anyone else worried about their A7M3 shutter not working soon?

Just seen a few stories about what seems to be a known issue with shutters breaking long before the rated number of actuations (200,000) for the A7M3.

I got my camera last November, and am a bit worried now after spending nearly 2000 euros on it along with another 1000 euro for the Sigma 24 70.

Hopefully Sony will offer a free fix if the issue occurs outside the warranty period since they surely must know of it at this point.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Damien1981,

that is the first time I hear of such an issue with the A7III and I am very active here and on reddit as well.

Can you list some sources for this?

- Nic

profile.country.IE.title
Damien1981
Explorer

Hi Nic,

I had heard of it first on fstoppers, then I saw a news story on Digital Camera World today which said there is a class action lawsuit ongoing in New York against Sony and defective A7M3 shutters.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/camera-breaking-sony-a7-iii-shutters-result-in-class-action-....

Maybe it's not as serious as it sounds, or else hopefully Sony offers free fixes if the issue arises outside the warranty period.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Damien1981,

thank you for the source.

I will do some research on this - but just because some people started a class action lawsuit doesn't mean there really is an issue with the cameras - time will tell. 

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
IDUNWORKING
Explorer

Sony have known about the problem since 2017 and have done nothing about it