Join now - be part of our community!

3g/GSM functionality freezes

profile.country.en_GB.title
carlhunt
Visitor

3g/GSM functionality freezes

If the 3g signal is lost the data connection is dropped. Once the 3g signal returns the tablet will very often not restore the data connection. Whilst the tablet will show a radio signal ( and apps support this ) the data connection will not be restored.

I have a Tablet S with 3g which I have started using on my commute to work.

I have found the GSM/3g functionality quite frustrating. It appears as though if the radio signal is lost the tablet does not restore the data connection when the signal is restored.

Once or twice on the journey the signal indicator in the bottom left will grey out ( no signal ) and not recover the signal until I interviene in some way.

The indicator in the bottom right hand corner either shows no signal i.e. goes dark grey until I either shut down and restart the tablet or occasionally go in to settings / mobile networks  and untick and tick data enabled and data roaming.

The sim card is on O2 with unlimited data. I have (two) Dell Streak devices either of which happliy manage to operate on exactly the same route with the same SIM card i.e. might run slow on occasion but maintain connection to the internet / android market place.  Same is true of my Blackberry. APN is mobile.o2.co.uk. Under most circumstances the tablet will show full strength and indicate a 3G connection.

The WiFi functionality is disconnected in case of conflict.

I will very often go to airplane mode once I have finished browsing but do not always remember to do this and that will not stop the 3g/GSM function stalling.

Having contacted Sony Support, they collected the tablet, took it away to France, replaced some components and returned it.

Experience to date is that this has not resolved the issue.

Maybe it an unreasonable expectation on my part, but I would not expect the 3g functionality to freeze requiring me to turn the tablet off and on to reset.

If this is to be expected using 3g on the go please let me know!

If anyone knows a simple way of reseting the3g/GSM functionality I would be interested to hear. Wireless mode on then off doesn't do it. Unticking and ticking the data functionality in the wireless settings doesnt do it. Combinations of the above don't work either.

I have only been using 02 so I will try Vodaphone next week ( not that I believe this to be a carrier issue ).

0 REPLIES 0