Join now - be part of our community!

wireless connection no longer possible,S4XP

wireless connection no longer possible,S4XP

:cry: Can anyone shed some light?? Had my S4XP laptop for 5 months, and could initially connect to internet wirelessly, but now the connection wont happen. Can only connect using ethernet cable. ISP has said its the Centrino chipset. Have tried restoring laptop to factory settings but still no good. HELP!!

5 REPLIES 5
carthorian
Visitor

Don't always believe your ISP, they usually are 20 year olds who can't find the job they studied for (computer sience) and when they don't know something they often blame it on something else (centrino technology for example).

I never heard of Centrino technologies failing after nearly half a year. Have you dubblechecked your configuration? Were there any changes to your wireless router lately? Have you tried firmware upgrades?

If it still doesn't work, check if any other computer can connect to your wireless network. If so you should have your notebook checked by the manufacturer. If not, you might wanna check your wireless router's configuration.

Lizzie
Visitor

if you can get service using your ethernet it may just be a encryption problem.
have you enabled Encryption? if so even though you are using the same Encryption word/phrase for your internet provider and your wireless application sometimes it doesn't work, well in my case thats what happened. i couldn't figure out why i wasn't getting connection. to solve the problem copy the exact Encryption key from your internet provider into your wireless application and that may fix it.

MXMotion
Visitor

wireless interenet is a beast. WEP encryption is fine as long as the router that you are using decides it wants to work. NETGEAR routers are a pig, some of your ISP's will scan for MAC addresses, (the physical name for each PC on the network), Some routers can trick the ISP but some cannot. It may be a problem with the WEP configuration. if the wep key or essid has changed then contact who ever runs the network and ask them for the ESSID and the WEP key, and check the router can spoof a mac address on first ip also, ciao ciao

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Temprimental isn't in it

asmoussa
Visitor

i had a worse problem my ethernet card also failed to connect, spend all day figuring it out then got xp pro cd and decided to use repair, and bingo all up and running, by the way the ethernet and wireless cards were both showing as fully functional in the system.