Join now - be part of our community!

Windows Sidebar

Pagey1993
Visitor

Windows Sidebar

Hi, I got my CR21S today and uninstalled Google desktop and sidebar as I wanted to use Windows Sidebar. When I now try to run Windows Sidebar it says that 'Windows Sidebar is managed by your system administrator' and won't let me run it. Any ideas on how I can get Windows Sidebar to run?

Many thanks, Page.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Page,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

This fix that may work..

Go to Start, then in the search box type regedit.

Click on on Regedit and browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Windows\Sidebar

right click on turnoffsidebar and change 1 to 0.

craftdelights
Visitor

Hi there,

I've just got a VGN-NR11S and have also removed the google desktop.

I've tried what was recommended and I get another error saying "Cannot edit Turnoffsidebar: Error writing the value's new contents.

Anymore suggestions

KingGeorge
Visitor

Hello,
I've tried to enable the windows sidebar on my girlfriend's vista vaio.
To install Vista on new vaio laptops, Sony uses a big network to install on multiple machines at the same time, automatically giving/denying some user rights.
Because they probably have some kind of deal with google, you need full administrator rights to re-enable the sidebar, which you will never get, unless you do a full re-install from a vista install DVD. (reinstalling with your own recovery-partition or DVD's will not change this off course).
Luckily, they didn't disable many of the user's rights, and the sidebar is one of the only problems you will have of this kind.
greetz
KG

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi craftdelights

Hmm the solution has worked before.. :thinking:

Perhaps the solution HERE may help..

Pagey1993
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus

I followed your link and removed the first registry key (second one wasn't in local user) and now the sidebar loads without any warnings. I haven't noticed any error messages yet because I have only just done it but hopefully this has done the trick.

Thanks for your help.

Page.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :smileygrin:

craftdelights
Visitor

Hi again,

I didn't have gpedit.msc when I typed it in the search box and I'd already deleted turnoffsidebar from regedit (and like Page it wasn't in the second one) but mine still isn't working. I just don't get it.

Becky

craftdelights
Visitor

I've fixed, so thanks Thalamus. I'd already set up another user so I deleted them and went through the process again and it works. Yippee.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: You're welcome, I'm glad the sidebar's working again now craftdelights.. :slight_smile: