Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8 Pro VGX-XL302 UK

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Windows 8 Pro VGX-XL302 UK

Hello Everyone Here At Club VAIO.

I've decided to upgrade my VAIO again. The last time I did this I had partial success. I'm currently running Windows 7 32 bit, and have most of the drivers and Sony programs running that I extracted from the back up disc's that I made when I was using Vista.:smileyhappy:

I will provide links and probably host a torrent for easy sharing of these files, and I will hopefully provide a guide as how to do it all. And the install sequences, ect.:smileywink:

I will try several methods, but ultimately what I'm after is a clean install, and the ability to recover my Sony OEM software that came preinstalled on my VAIO.:smileyplain:

I will try the Windows 8 upgrade advisor from Microsoft and report back. If they don't think its capable, then there's no point, but if it is. I'm going to get the PC of my dreams sorted once and for all....:smileyhappy:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Message was edited by: rsebre

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

rsebre wrote:

Hello Everyone Here At Club VAIO.

I've decided to upgrade my VAIO again. The last time I did this I had partial success. I'm currently running Windows 7 32 bit, and have most of the drivers and Sony programs running that I extracted from the back up disc's that I made when I was using Vista.

I will provide links and probably host a torrent for easy sharing of these files,

Hi rsebre,

A friendly word of advice; whilst help and suggestions for members to upgrade successfully to Windows 8 is of course welcome, I suggest you read the Forum Code of Conduct before going down the route of posting links or torrent feeds for extracted Sony Software.

https://www.sony.co.uk/pages/privacy/CodeOfConduct_en.html

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Hello Rich, thanks for the advice. I have just noticed somewhere here on Sony Vaio Link, that there is an attachments bit, so I will probably use that, and or links.

After several years, only yesterday did I get the memory card writer/reader working in 7. It's a driver for the 201. But it works for the 302. I even used kpac to pick open my recover disc's to get them, but they would not install that way...:smileyhappy:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGX-XL201/downloads/generic_2659?utm_campaign=website&utm_s...

As for getting windows 8 running. Aparently it will install, as long as you've disabled the splash screen and FireWire in the bios. :smileygrin:

I tryed to use the advisor yesterday several times to see if it thought the upgrade was viable, and after running it for around 6 hours and nothing, I gave up.:smileyangry: I will report back, and check with other 302 users to get some FAQ's answered for us.

Another question has dawned on me too. I can just do a factory reinstall, to vista, and do the update from their. iI would save me a windows 7 licence.:smileyplain:

profile.country.GB.title
super_mackem
New

Hello rsebre,

I've just upgraded my Sony VGX-XL201 to Windows 8. In theory, it should have been straightforward but due to the particular software configuration of my machine, it was something of a long winded process. 

The actual Microsoft upgrade process is very slick. Once the upgrade adisor has run and you've examined the output, it's simply a case of clicking to go and the process looks after itself. It's also very quick, a world away from the Vista upgrade process, more of which later.

I was still running the original Windows XP Media Center edition which came preinstalled on my machine. Although I had the Vista upgrade discs, I'd never bothered to upgrade due to the bad press Vista had received. I'd also upgraded my graphics card to a Sapphire Radeon HD 4550. On completing the upgrade to Windows 8, I discovered that it was running off the on board graphics, rather than using the 4550 card. Much twiddling later, I discovered that there was an error message stating that my Bios needed updating. Some Googl'ing later, I found that the upgrade to Vista process for the XL201 actually included a Bios update to resolve an issue with a conflict with the graphics processing. Originally it seems that there was a version of this Bios upgrade which could be executed stand-alone from DOS. However, that no longer seems to be available on the Sony web site. As a result,  I was forced to restore my XL-201 back to XP, then upgrade to Vista (sloooow!) applying the Bios update as part of the process. Then I had to perform the upgrade to Windows 8. With baited breath, I waited to see if the 4550 graphics would be recognised, which fortunately they were. This whole process took me around 2 weeks in elapsed time, including the investigation I had to do and a support email to Sony (who in effect told me to go away as my machine was no longer supported).

I'm very impressed with how Windows 8 is running on my XL201. It's very fast and as a result, has probably extended the life of my machine by a few years, providing no critical hardware components blow of course. I've not encountered any significant incompatibilities so far, with the exception that I can no longer eject DVD's by pressing the button on the front of the machine. That is a pain. I have to either do a software eject using PowerDVD, which I have installed. Or shut down the machine and eject by pressing the button during the Bios boot process. The IR blaster apparently doesn't work either under Windows 8 but I don't use that.

So all in all, it was worth the pain to upgrade.

profile.country.en_GB.title
SailMaiden
Visitor

Hi rsebre, I'm pleased to report that my clean install of Win8 Pro to a new Samsung830 256GB SSD connected to SATA port 3, in my XL302 went faultlessly. That is now my boot drive and I still have access to all my music, pictures etc on the original 2 x 250GB HDDs. Win8 provided all the drivers automatically, so I've not used any of the Vaio drivers or utilities. Only issue is the original drivers for the AVermedia A16 DVBT won't install under Win8, nor have I found any other source. I have other kit for recording/watching TV so this aspect is not important to me but it may be to you. One other device, is not recognised, but I'm not sure what it is and not missing it so far. Old TV recordings and all other media including DVD's play just fine using the Media Centre add-in, free from MS until 31 Jan. Otherwise performance is awesome and gives this old PC a whole new lease of life. I thoroughly recommend this upgrade.