Join now - be part of our community!

Why did Sony VAIO used the admittedly faulty nvidia graphic card chip at the FZ series?

profile.country.el_GR.title
berdesos
Visitor

Why did Sony VAIO used the admittedly faulty nvidia graphic card chip at the FZ series?

Why - even if your VAIO FZ... gets support and sent to the service dept - they dont replace the motherboard but they replace the intergrated chipset just to function for another 3-4 months?

Dont you think that this situation is the most clear proof of how much Sony respects its customers?

The 4 year quarantee is not a serious solution since the service team is not doing a serious job (it replaces just the chipset). Sony SHOULD replace all motherboards since a faulty intergrated chipset is a faulty motherboard.

This behaviour is probably one of the biggest marketing fails in the laptop industry and after almost 5 years something needs to be done. Just do it for the loyal customers to come back...

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi berdesos and welcome.

I hope you are aware that this is a User Forum.  Sony will not reply to questions here.

I believe Sony did replace the motherboards on all qualifying models until they are 4 years old.  They did not just replace the chipset as this would be unreliable and not cost effective.

You need to talk to Sony if you believe yours is a special case.

:thinking:

profile.country.el_GR.title
berdesos
Visitor

I know it is a forum :dizzy: and I am addressing to all the users with the same issues in order to start a discussion. And there are many of us. Just do a Google search about "vgn-fz*** graphics" and you will see the size of the problem.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=VGNFZ290&news_id=349

1) Firstly as you can see at the above link there's no official mention about replacing motherboards, but just replacing chips.

2) Sony DIDNT replace all the motherboards of the faulty Vaios. Just the chipsets of the laptops that have been sent to Sony.

3) Having used the extended warranty I must say that they replaced the chipset and not the motherboard. The same for 2 other vaio laptop of my friend and brother.

The products with Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT SHOULD be replaced not repaired. And not just for 4 years. Its not ethical correct to sell officially faulty items with warranty date! And thats a huge fail!

Unfortunately, I dont believe that mine is a special case and thats why I started the post. Just watch

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vaio+fz+graphic+problem

Message was edited by: berdesos