Join now - be part of our community!

WHATS THE NORMAL TEMPERATURE OF A VGN-A517B ?

slapdash
Visitor

WHATS THE NORMAL TEMPERATURE OF A VGN-A517B ?

Hello,

what is the normal temperature oft the VAIO VGN-A517B?

I bougth the VAIO a few weeks ago and to me it seems it gets very hot, especially on the bottom... After running 1-2 hours (in battery mode 800 MHz) normal tasks it gets 59° - 60° C. Is this normal?

Thanks & Ciao.

Uwe

8 REPLIES 8
eldrpr
Visitor

I'm sorry but you should ask someone else if you haven't had an answer yet I'm not good enough at computer to help you, all the more because I haven't this computer

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi slapdash and welcome to the forum.

The temperatures that you report seem about right assuming that you have been tasking for up to two hours. I would expect it to fall back to approx. 55 ° C when idle.
The processor in your model (Intel Pentium M Processor 740) has a max die temperature of 100 ° C, but passive cooling will kick in before you reach that.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
slapdash
Visitor

Hi Rich,

thanks for your answer! Do you own a A - series VAIO with Pentium M 740, too?

I should say that I run no heavy tasks - only Internet, Office software, Winamp... the CPU reaches 59°-60° C (the fan spins on at 60° C) anyway.

Ciao.

Uwe

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No I don’t have an A series but I have just checked with a pal who has an A2 series with a similar processor to yours. MobileMeter is reporting his CPU temperature in the low 50’s – which utility are you using to monitor the temperature?

The temperatures that you report are certainly not alarming, but I am rather surprised that the fan doesn’t kick in until 60°C. Perhaps someone with your exact model will be able to provide confirmation on whether this is normal or not.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
slapdash
Visitor

Thanks again! I´m using MobileMeter or Notebook Hardeware Control, for example. Indeed it would be better to compare to an other VGN-A517B... Older A series VAIOs with the earlier Centrino generation should run cooler, I guess. Somewhere I read this CPUs have less thermal loss...

Anyone with a VGN-A517B (or the equivalent US or UK series) out there ??? :thinking:

Ciao.

Uwe

febs
Visitor

Lol i have an A517S with a 760.....imagine how hot mine gets!! but yes your temperature seems fine to me

mickb
Visitor

Hello, I have a VGN-A517B, standard build apart from 2GB of memory. The CPU temp at the moment is 63 C. The hard drive is 39 C It has been running for 5 hours on mains. The room temp is 21 C. I hope this helps. Mick

slapdash
Visitor

Hello Mick,

thanks for your reply! So it seems these temperatures are quite normal vor the VGN-A517B... Or are these temperatures for heavy load or gaming? The temperatures I´ve posted are in the 800 MHz mode while doing Internet, Office, ... That means with no heavy CPU and GPU load. I just wondered, that other machines in smaller chassis run cooler... But for this Vaio the temperature seems normal.

Ciao.

Uwe