Join now - be part of our community!

VPCSE Changing 1.8" SSD for 2.5" SSD

profile.country.en_GB.title
mrrwhitney
Visitor

VPCSE Changing 1.8" SSD for 2.5" SSD

Hello

I hope someone can help me!

I've got a VAIO VPCSE2C5E which was supplied with a 1.8" Toshiba SSD with a micro SATA connection. I've bought a Crucial 2.5" SSD with a standard SATA connection. I need to buy a new cable and the mounting brackets. I can't find the part numbers I need anywhere - Can anybody help?

Equally if anybody has a VPCSE with a standard 2.5" drive in it - I would happily swap cables and give them my 1.8" 128Gb SSD in exchange for the cable I require.

Thank you for reading!

R

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Name removed.

3 REPLIES 3
fantiago
Visitor

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

Have you found any solution? I've noticed that sony forum dont provide much answers

It is such a let down that the SSD upgrade in this laptop is such a pain......Didn't expect that at all and not many stuff is written about this online. In fact, havent found anything yet...

Message was edited by: fantiago

fantiago
Visitor

sony has provided me with this link

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/solutions/60770

now I asked them for the part numbers.

In the mean time I've ordered Sata 2.5" female to micro sata Male adaptour and will try to fit it in, which I am bit afraid won't fit..

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2-5-IN-SATA-22-pin-Female-to-1-8-IN-Micro-SATA-16-pin-Male-Adapter-convertor-...

fantiago
Visitor

Just got this response from sony "support" regading this query:

"If other variants of your VAIO model are offered with mechanical hard disk drives, there is enough room to install a retail SSD. You will have to buy VAIO specific parts (connector and/or mounting brackets) to connect and install the drive. Please contact Sony Support."

Answer:

"Thank you for contacting Sony.

Sadly, we do not recommend changing the hard drive on the VAIO. If you install a third party hard drive, we cannot guarantee that it will work with the VAIO but you may still wish to attempt the upgrade on your own, but please bear in mind that even if you succeed with the upgrade it may result in operating malfunctions.

It is also very important that you are aware that opening or dismantling the main unit or any of its accessories, for whatever reason, could lead to damages that are not covered by your warranty and as an alternative; I would recommend that you consider using an external hard drive.

I am sorry I cannot be of greater assistance on this occasion; however I hope that my e-mail has gone some way to clarifying this matter."

Useless as hell...Wrote them again I hope they will be more helpful this time because their answer is worth the pile of something warm