Join now - be part of our community!

VGX-XL201 - MATSHITA UJ-846D DVD-ROM WITH VISTA HOME PREMIUM

laddo
Visitor

VGX-XL201 - MATSHITA UJ-846D DVD-ROM WITH VISTA HOME PREMIUM

I have a Sony VGX-XL201 Media Center which has been upgraded to Vista Home Premium using the Sony Vista Express Upgrade discs. Everything has been fine for past three months but suddenly my Matshita UJ-846D DVD drive is reporting yellow triangle warning in Device Manager and will not operate. Checking Matsushita site shows latest firmware for this drive as v102 which is only XP compatible. Have attempted uninstall and scan for new hardware which recognizes unit but fails on driver install and also tried updating drivers online which reports unit is using latest driver.

There are two drivers files in Device Manager tab as follows;

C:\Windows\system32\cdrom.sys
C:\Windows\system32\PxHelp.sys (I am not 100% sure on this filename - will check )

Has anyone else experienced this issue and do you have solution? I have the Vista upgrade driver disc available but I cannot locate the exact .exe for the DVD drive. Obviously I cannot insert into the DVD into the drive to perform search as the current DVD will not eject!

Does anyone know if there is a later compatible Vista driver for the Matshita(Matsushita) UJ-846D

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

1 REPLY 1
laddo
Visitor

SOLUTION:

This article resolves the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us (Says for Windows XP but works on Vista Home Premium)

I think it must have occurred when I installed Intervideo DiscCreator plugin for MCE. This does work with Vista so I had to uninstall. Leaves the PxHelp.sys file in drivers location.
I did not have to delete the UpperFilters registry key as this was not present but by removing the LowerFilters registry key and restarting the machine, the DVD drive appears in My Computer and functions perfectly.

Hope this helps if you run into same issue.