Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-T1XP - Hard disk capacity

bmplanche
Visitor

VGN-T1XP - Hard disk capacity

Hello,

my VGN-T1XP documentation says that the Hard Disk is 40Gb. When I get into "My Computer" "properties" I can see that it exists two logical drives: "C:" and "D:".
When I sum up the total capacity of each I get to merely 30Gb.
I have seen at other places in this forum that 40Gb of Sony mass storage means in fact 40,000,000,000 bytes and therefore, taking into account that a Gb is in reality 1024*1024*1024, I am expecting to see the 40,000,000,000 bytes translating into at least 37,25Gb.
Can some one explain where the 7,25Gb have gone ?
Thanks for your help

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The rest has gone to a recovery partition, which you should make the recovery DVDs.

robpaxton
Explorer

Some of the space 'missing' can be attributed to file system overheads. Also, do you have a hidden recovery partition on that model? If so then some space will have been taken by that.

bmplanche
Visitor

Thanks much for your answers.
I guess I should run this little icon which pop up regularly to propose me to create a recocery DVD.
When the DVD ( or DVDs) are done, will I be able to delete this parition and recover the space for personal usage ?
Thanks for your support

kee-lo_

I think you can with the advanced recovery

feederfan
Visitor

when you have created the recovery discs, (you will need 8 blank CDR's, and yes, it does take about 2 hours!) you can delete the recovery partition and either have one 40GB partition, or 2 20GB ones.