Join now - be part of our community!

VGN S Series Motherboard known issue - no longer known !!!

pete_kyle
Visitor

VGN S Series Motherboard known issue - no longer known !!!

Did anyone else find a notice on the vaio link homepage sayin that there was a known issue with some S series notebooks on the 23rd Dec 2005?? I have a problem as described in that with my S1VP and called sony today but they deny that there ever was a notice and now the website no longer shows it! Can someone else please tell me that I am not going mad and that was there?!?!?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I didn’t see that notice but there IS a known problem with any of the S series that have the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 video chipset and your model does indeed have this.

Typical symptoms of this problem are:

System does not come out of hibernation
System reports an error in the ati driver
System does not boot, screen remains black.
In some cases the Sony logo come up on boot and does not proceed with the boot process.

There was a post on this topic at Vaio-Village a few weeks ago.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
pete_kyle
Visitor

are sony uk, fixing this problem for free?

Thanks

Pete

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Only If it is still in warranty.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
William
Visitor

I obviously don't disbelieve you but it really sounds very unlike Sony to admit a known fault. It would certainly be a first :slight_frown:

If they did it was probably a Human error and removed very quickly :wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

They never admitted the issues with the GRX so don't hold your breath

robela
Visitor

I have a K series and the screen goes very dim after boot. I've checked settings and I didn't think it was the baclight or the inverter, however, could I also have faulty video chipset on the motherboard. It's going to Sony next week for repair and it's only 14 months old, 2 out of warrenty! I wonder how much I will get charged????

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Definately quiz them about it, and don't be scared to speak to trading standards and the CAB.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I have a K series and the screen goes very dim after boot.  I've checked settings and I didn't think it was the baclight or the inverter, however, could I also have faulty video chipset on the motherboard.  It's going to Sony next week for repair and it's only 14 months old, 2 out of warrenty!  I wonder how much I will get charged????

The problem with the S series is specific to the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 video chipset. Your notebook is not only a different series but has the ATI Radeon IGP 345M chipset, so I doubt that this is your problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
pete_kyle
Visitor

Mine does have a Radeon Mobility 9200, and sony have fixed it finally. Though the notice about it seems to appear randomly on the vaio-link website.

Thanks for all your help